Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard starting - GS850

Hi all,

well , I've gotten my bike running (in a manner of speaking), after this winters tear-apart.

I most recently did valve-clearance, as well as my timing, and rechecked my float-levels yesterday,

The problem is that the bike starts, but only with a shot of gas into the carbs with the airbox off. Once running, it doesnt work too well with the choke, so I have to hold the throttle open a bit to get it warmed up. once real warm, it manages to keep running. after that point, it starts on its own.

:?

also, i just cleaned out the pilot circuit, so it cant be that now.

Comment

Does it idle and run OK, or just barely?

How many turns out did you end up with on your pilot screws?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

all of the screws are out at about 1 and 3/4 turns.

I think its gotta be the floats, as there is only fuel in the #3 bowl and the others are empty.

it doesnt even keep running now, even after a shot of gas...

i guess my method of setting the levels (using a crappy tire vernier calipre) isnt working, so I'm gonna pop by the service counter where they can properly set them......

poot

Comment

I have set my float heights like that for years, but recently discovered that it can be a less than accurate way to set the heights. What I recently did was take an old float bowl drain screw and drill a hole right through the middle of it. Then I got a small aluminum tube from the hardware store and drilled the hole to fit that snug (I had to press it in there with the vise). Then I attached some clear tubing to it, installed it in place of the existing float bowl drain screw and held the tube close to the carb body. This allows you to really see what the fuel height in the carb is. It should be right at the gasket level (at least on my 1100's) Make sure to have the bike running when you check it. What I found was that the bench settings with a caliper were actually way off. The fuel level was too low in 3 out of 4 of the carbs. The Suzuki shop can sell you the tool to do this, but mine cost about $0.40 and 5 minutes of my time.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Oh, also make sure your starter jets and the ports that feed them with gas are free. However, the fact that your bike doesn't even idle anymore suggests that this isn't the problem. When I cleaned out those ports, my starting problem dissapeared.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

they should be good, as i had just taken them all apart and cleaned everything out.

im hoping its the floats, as only 1 out of 4 (#3carb) has fuel in the bowl, and i did fiddle with the float levels between when i had it started and now...

ill see tommorow if im right [-o<

Comment

Working...
              X