Gear Indicator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Indicator?

My '78 GS550E gear indicator display is messed up. The digits are all reading funny no matter what gear I'm in. Is there any way to fix this, or is this one of those "nice to have when they work" type of items? I also have a hard time getting the bike into neutral...there is a lot of play in the shifter linkage, should I look for another shifter?

Charles

define "funny"

Comment

It displays more like symbols instead of numbers...like too many digits are lighting up.

Comment

The actuall indicator has fallen off on the inside. Take the guages apart, and glue/screw the inciator back on the back of the guage housing. I had the same problem :-)
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I was shifting through the gears last night (after adjusting the linkage to solve my finding neutral problem) and noticed the number "6" works fine...all the others come up wrong. So, I don't think that the indicator has fallen off in the housing, at least I don't think any of the numbers would work if that's the case. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Mine is hard to get into neutral also. Otherwise shifts fine. Did adjusting the linkage help? If so what did you do to adjust it?

Debby
            77 GS550B
            1979 GS1000N
            2019 Kaw Z900RS
            plus a few more

Comment

I hit neutral more frequently by accident than I do intentionally...

Comment

Hi Debby;

I loosened the two locknuts on the straight piece that is threaded on both ends between the two swivel heads. Then I turned the piece to tighten up the linkage, then tightened the locknuts back up. Sitting on the bike in the garage with the engine running, the shifting was much better. It's been raining today, so I haven't had a chance to check it out "real world" but seems much better.

Comment

Working...
                X