Lube those splines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lube those splines!

Thought I should share this little tip. If you have a GS shaft-drive you need to pull the back wheel off and lube the splines on the end of the drive shaft and the splines on the adapter hub/final drive. Maybe someone else knows the frequency but since mine failed at about 27000 miles maybe every 10000 would be good? At the very least, any time you have reason to pull the back wheel. Maybe this wll save someone else some grief. From my posts I've discerned that the black goo with molybdenum in it is recommended. I have a tub of high temp disc brake bearing grease that I'm using.

According to Gold Wing, FJR, and other shaft bike websites Honda Moly Lube 60 is the stuff to use.........................

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Every time the rear tire comes off!! 8)

Comment

I concurr

Originally posted by shaftzuki
        Every time the rear tire comes off!! 8)
        Sounds reasonable to me. Better to err on the side of caution.

Comment

just did it, got some valvoline synpower moly/lithium grease... try to every time I pull it!

Comment

Had to pull the rear wheel again to fix the suddenly leaking final drive. Lubed those splines again after only 60 miles of riding. I'm not paranoid, it really is out to get me . Many thanks again to Leon. Got an $80 donation towards my new RR & stator today . WooHoo!

Comment

Definitely use Honda Moly 60....it is well worth the price!

most moly greases out there, contain around 10 percent molybdenum disulfide or less, which basically isnt doing too much. Heres a link to the part number for Honda Moly 60, which you can order from any dealership (car/bike).

i bought the tube thinking how small it was...but after using it on everything this winter, and on my brothers bike, and my friends, i still have some left!

Comment

The Moly 60 or equivalent is the stuff to use (Loctite makes some, as do a few others). The normal MSD grease is only 5% moly, so no good for this. Use a little bit everytime you change the back tyre.

Comment

Working...
                X