Racing engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing engine

Last night, I did a bar swap on my '85 GS550L. It looks much better; and I think it will be much better on the wrists.

I didn't have time for a test drive last night, so the ride into work this morning was it. Once she was warmed up, I couldn't get it to stop racing. I backed the idle screw way out, so I don't think it is the throttle cable. So, I figure it must be something with the choke cable.

I have a couple new choke plungers arriving today (long story), so I'll be tearing into it this afternoon anyway. Has anyone gone through this before? If my choke cable turns out to just be too long, is there a home-grown way to shorten it? I was thinking to cut a section out of the middle of the sheath & put heat-shrink on to seal it. And find some way to worry about the other end...

Thanks,

Rob

Too long shouldn't be a problem, as long as it's routed well. Often times the cable gets hung up and affected somehow do to the routing.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I believe it is your throttle cable , with the complete turn of the wheel does it idle up or down , either direction?

the reason i believe its throttle related i also changed bars and it looks so much better but if i turn the wheel all the way to the right i get throttle response ( increase) so i believe it to be the same issue.

as far as how to correct it. I dont know some one with more technical ability should offer up something.

Comment

Turn your bars all the way to the right and readjust your throttle cable's free play (at the carb end). This will make sure that your cable doesn't tighten as you turn the bars. The cable is tightest when you turn the bars to the right stop.

HTH

Comment

Well, I have no idea what changed when I swapped bars, but the racing engine was a problem with the throttle cable adjustment...

rackdaddy12000, it is an easy fix. Right above the carbs, where the throttle cable comes in, the end of the cable sheath is threaded. There are two nuts surrounding a bracket. Loosen one, and you can move them together to adjust the throttle cable. You want it so there is just a tiny bit of slack when the throttles are completly closed.

Enjoy,

Rob

Comment

Working...
          X