Valve problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve problem

so i tore apart my engine and ive got the head out. now i need to get the vlave springs and all that stuff in there out

my book says i have to get a special tool for compressing the springs, and the tool looks kind of like a giant C-clamp

does anyone know how another way to do this, or am i gonna have to go get that tool?

If i do have to go get that tool, where can i get it, or can i use a different kind of spring compressor.

btw, i have 1980 GS850 G

thanks Dave

Some guys use a huge C-clamp with a small piece of tubing with a notch cut out of one side to get at the valve keepers. I bought a valve spring compressor tool at Sears and it worked, but sucked. I had to modify the arms somewhat. I'd go the c-clamp method, someone has a picture of the tool, hopefully they post...
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

most rental stores have various type and design valve spring tools

Comment

yeah thats what one of my buddies said about it, when he came and looked at it.

Can someone post a pic of the tool

Comment

Originally posted by CamaRod
          yeah thats what one of my buddies said about it, when he came and looked at it.

Can someone post a pic of the tool
          I use a homemade device for depressing the springs which is very quick if you have access to a drill press or drill stand. Hard to explan but I chuck a "tuning fork" shaped tool in the chuck with the cylinder head tilted to the correct angle so the tool will be pressing against the spring retainer. Using the drill press as a press I depress the spring with one hand and using long tweezers I remove the keepers. The mechanic who told me about this technique actually used a tuning fork.

Comment

that is a good idea, but im kind of building this bike in my kitchen and i dont have access to a drill press

i found this on ebay and i think im gonna try and make something like this with tubing and a C-clamp tonight

if someone has a home made pic, please let me see it

thanks
            -Dave

Comment

Using a large C-clamp works, you'll need a small wood dowel or something to press down on the spring keeper, and a rag to keep the keys from flying around. Good luck

Comment

ok, i made one

ill post pics of it and do a write up of what i did when my roommate comea back

I have to wait for my roommate cause I dont have a digicam

Comment

Tool

DONT BUY ONE! I have one, I just recently came back from U.K (My family is out there) and I bought one.
                  I just did my valves, the tool works perfect.
                  You pay shipping both ways and you can borrow it, I live in Louisiana.
                  Phil.

Comment

thats really nice of you, but i alread made one

thanks anyhow

Comment

If you take a lg socket to fit the valve retainer Usually if you rap it with a hammer the keepers will come right out You still will need the spring compressor to put it back together

Comment

Working...
                      X