Dipping carbs and what o-rings to remove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dipping carbs and what o-rings to remove

Dipping carbs in Chem Dip. Wanted to double check with everyone that I removed ALL gaskets/seals/o-rings. First time doing this.

Mikuni BS 34
    -needle valve gasket
    -drain plug o-ring
    -needle jet o-ring
    -choke plunger gasket
    -float chamer gasket

That's all I've got, anything else?

Many thanks!

Air screw

How about the air screw and "O" ring? (If it doesn't fall out when you turn it upside down...tap it with the handle of a screw driver...and be sure to catch it.) Also, there should be a tiny little metal washer.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I hate to post this, but remove the slide also. It has a rubber diaphram that will go bye-bye in the dip. Basically take the carb completely apart and don't dip anything but metal.

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

hipster, there is also a piece of rubber on the end of the choke plunger. Don't try to remove this piece of rubber , just don't dip the plunger. And don't ask how I know this ok.

Comment

Originally posted by dgeorge
            hipster, there is also a piece of rubber on the end of the choke plunger. Don't try to remove this piece of rubber , just don't dip the plunger. And don't ask how I know this ok.
            Good point. So how do you know this? Like I said, only metal parts. No rubber, no plastic, no gaskets (if you still want them) .... hmm, that's it I think.

Comment

I won't ask how you know it, but I found out the same way...

New plungers run about $16 ea.

Depending on your carbs, there may well be seals on each end of the throttle shaft. The folks on the board swore that my carb didn't have them, but sure enough, they were there... (I do have weird carbs, so their experience may be right in 95% of GS cases)

Getting them out of one side was easy. Getting them out the other side requires you to remove the throttle disk & pull the shaft all the way through. The throttle shaft seal kit comes with new screws to replace the staked ones holding in the throttle disks. Be super careful if you go to remove them. Use a perfect fitting screw driver, press hard, and don't mess up. You really only get one shot without stripping them. The replacements went in with LocTite...

Rob

Comment

Are these plunger parts you guys mention in the carb cleaning series? I've never noticed them. There are the rubber caps with the holes in the middle but if those fall apart during removal they need replacing anyway.

Steve

Comment

Steve down at the end where the needle is sticking out there is a rubber gasket in there. so you should not dip this part in carb cleaner.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                    Unfortunately I am still trying to get the slide and throttle disk out, the crews are really stuck.
                    Can I apply heat to this part of the carb or is that not recommended?
                    I?d use a Burns-o-Matic propane torch.

Comment

I never noticed the rubber, I know the peg is embedded in epoxy or something but the spray cleaner I used never hurt it.

The butterfly can get dunked.

Steve

Comment

A really good fitting screwdriver, lots of pressure, and both hands twisting the handle should do the job.

If that doesn't work, see if you can't rig up a screwdriver apex (like for a drill) in a 1/4" socket w/ a 3" extension and a ratchet handle. One hand putting lots of pressure on the head of the ratchet to keep the bit in the screw, and the other hand should have plenty of torque. They will pop free & then they will come out easy as pie. It is that first snap that is killer...

Just do everything you can to avoid stripping them...

Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X