fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork oil

In my service manual, it says that my 1980 GS1000G takes 241ml (8.15oz) of 10W/20 oil in each fork leg at the time of overhaul and replacement. I wanted to ensure that I have sufficient fork oil this weekend, but I'm not replacing the forks or even doing an overhaul until I know there's a problem. Does anyone know a better way to gauge the amount of oil I need in there? Thanks.

If you haven't replaced the oil recently (or ever), you should drain them, flush with kerosene and refill with the proper amount. It's pretty easy to do and then you know they have the proper amount of fresh oil. Be sure to put exactly the same amount in each fork.

Comment

Baby bottle

A plastic baby bottle comes in handy for getting exactly the right amount.... :P
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I recently purchased fork seals and did a complete clean of my forks, both forks took about two hours. You cannot believe how much sludge was in the bottom of each tube that I feel would have never come out if I had not taken them apart. It is worth it and as ptm says, then you will know how much oil is in each when you are finished.

Scud

Comment

for fork oil I went to a tractor supply place and bought a gallon of 20W hyd. oil and just used a plastic measuering cup that had ml's on it. After you flush them with kerosene make sure you dry them out real well. I left mine sittin upside down on rags overnight so all of it would drain out.

Comment

if you can somehow manage to get a large seringe (pet supply store?)

thats what i used, and it is pretty precise. make sure you move the forks up and down to get all of the gunk out when using kerosene.

Comment

I didn't end up doing this yesterday like I had planned -- and for that reason, my body is hating me right now, since I just did the North/Central Massachusetts challenge (175 miles of unknown back roads, with plenty of New England frost heaves). So that actually gives me more time to "do it right". Is there some sort of technique to the "flush with kerosene" part?

I honestly have no idea what the condition of the forks are, I was thinking first I could just "flush with kerosene and then add oil" (I'm assuming that the 8.15 oz/fork is appropriate since I didn't see anyone suggest a different amount) and then if the forks leak then I know I need to go out and buy the parts/tools to replace the seals. But you can understand why I'd rather not if I can avoid it.[/b]

Comment

Hi

With bike on the sentre stand and forksprings removed,
                with forks fully compressed ,then you should have 14 cm (or 6,3 inch)
                from top of fork down to the top of oil.Max allowable difference between
                forks ,is 1 mm (or 0,04 inch)

Einar

Gs1000GLx
                Norway

Comment

Working...
                X