Vance & Hines 4 into 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vance & Hines 4 into 1

The 1983 GS750ES I picked up has Vance and Hines 4 into 1 exhaust. Is there an "easy" way to tell if the jets were changed and when I go exhaust shopping if I have a choice of going back to 2 into 1's or need to stick with what I have got.

Also, the exhaust is not in bad shape, it just looks awful. Has anyone had any luck with high temperature paint once any rust is sanded off? I assume it was all chrome at one time, but not anymore.

Thanks in advance.
    Jay

Re: Vance & Hines 4 into 1

Originally posted by thoox
    The 1983 GS750ES I picked up has Vance and Hines 4 into 1 exhaust. Is there an "easy" way to tell if the jets were changed and when I go exhaust shopping if I have a choice of going back to 2 into 1's or need to stick with what I have got.

Also, the exhaust is not in bad shape, it just looks awful. Has anyone had any luck with high temperature paint once any rust is sanded off? I assume it was all chrome at one time, but not anymore.

Thanks in advance.
    Jay
    You maybe be able to drop one of the outside carb bowls and with a mirror read the main jet #. If different from stock then it has probably been rejetted, unless someone drilled out the original jets which is unlikely. Are you still running your original air box and cleaner? Exhaust depends...I personally like the sound of a 4-1, but like the looks of the original 4-2.

Comment

jets & paint

Hi neighbor...Augusta Ks.here.....I have a 82 GS 750 I have a Vance and Hines 4-1 also. I really like the pipe but all the chrome is still there however I used to have a bike with a 4-1 pipe that I painted. The best high heat paint I found was made by VHT. That was a few yrs ago so I dont know if it is still available and I think I found it in auto parts stores. As far as your jetting is concerned, I am pretty sure your motor and mine are the same even though mine is an 82. Mine is a four valve motor, 32mm Mikuni Carbs. Stock main jet size is 112.5. If you are running a stock air filter in the box(with the lid on) and there is a baffle still in the Pipe, then you can probably get away with running the stock size jets, but you might want to read the plugs just for peace of mind. Probably told you more than you wanted to know huh?

Comment

Stock jets for '83 GS750E & ES are as follows. Main #117.5, Pilot #37.5.
        I just painted an exhaust with a high temp (1800 degree) paint from Hirsch Automotive. I used the black which came very close to the original black chrome in appearance. They also have a bright aluminum color which should look good too. They do recommend you have the exhaust sand or bead blasted first. Check them out at www.hirschauto.com.
        Axel

Comment

ive used VHT too its good stuff

Comment

repainting

I also have the same bike an pipes as you and when I bought the bike the pipes wre a bit rusted. I took them to a friends work and we sand blasted them clean of all paint and rust. I then hand sanded them down to smoothen everything out. Then to paint them I went to Canadian Tire and bought their generic black hig hheat manifold paint. It's rated to 648C or 1200F. It cost $5Cnd for a can. I painted the pipes with about 3 coats over about 3 days and everythign worked out great. I am happy. One thing to be careful of (I speak from experience) if you sand blast it be sure to plug all entries to the exhaust anf manifold from teh damn beads. Not thinking of this I finished and put everything back together and that damned bike wouldn't start. Turns out my exhausst was full of stupid beads and it was like stuffing a potato in it.
            good luck and if you have any questions, send away.
            Shaun

Comment

Working...
            X