Pilot Fuel Screws...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot Fuel Screws...

Is it possible to adjust these with the carbs on the bike?? I can JUST get to #1 and #4, but #2 and #3 I can't get to. The bike is running fairly well except for the white/grey smoke.

You should be able to get to them, but it takes a very short screwdriver. You can buy ones specially made for the job or fabricate one. Do a search of the forum, there are several threads that contain a lot of ideas of how to make one.

Comment

Mirror

Yeah, like PTM says, you can fashion one. I bought a small slotted screwdriver and took a hacksaw and cut the handle in half. Also, you could probably use a sewing machine screwdriver or maybe even one of those little ones that come in an eyeglass repair kit (available at any drug store). :?

I also thought it was handy to have a small hand mirror and always keep one in my tool kit.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I had already bought an eyeglass screwdriver knowing that I needed a small screwdriver, but I still can't get in far enough to get the bit in the slot and then turn the screw. My local bike shop says they will sync and adjust the carbs for $59...starting to sound like a good deal to me.

Comment

you may want to use one of the different bits for a changeable screwdriver, but just the bit only .

i got it to work, if i also had my tank propped up on a tape roll near the seat.

Comment

I don't have large hands (maybe they're chubby?) but I couldn't for the life of me operate mine. You have to manipulate your hands while trying to hold this tiny screw driver and get it blindly into the slot.

Screw that, I had my carb rack out in 5 minutes, made the adjustments on the bench, and it's perfect now.

~Adam

Comment

I know what you mean, Adam. There is just no way that I can get to the middle two carbs...I can just barely get the outside ones.

Comment

Working...
              X