Burned out starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burned out starter?

Last week, while trying to adjust my carbs, I think I overheated my '85 GS550L. The primary symptom is that the bike won't start. The starter struggles to turn the engine over; just like the battery is dead. This happens even if I hook the bike up to my truck battery with the truck running (motorcycle battery totally out of the system). It shows 14.5V across the terminals, but won't turn over.

Did I burn up the starter? Some of the wiring? Any chance this is an easy (cheap) fix?

Thanks,

Rob

Take the starter out and pull it apart. You can't hurt in now! Anyway, take some fine emery cloth and clean up those little contacts all in a circle. Then clean between them, just like you do your toes!

Put it back together with a bit of grease on either bearing surface and give it a try.

Comment

Your positive brush is probably worn out. If it is half the length of your negative brush you won't even need to bother measuring it. It will be the problem.

Steve

Comment

I got the starter out (what a battle) and have it torn apart.

Sure enough, the positive brush is shorter than the neg. one; but it seems like it should still be making good contact. How can I tell if it is long enough?

What is a good source for new brushes? Any options beyond the dealer?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

It you think you really overheated it, the starter may have lost some solder.

If you bring it to your local auto starter/alternator shop. They will test it, and let you know what it needs, and repair it if you wish.

I did mine last year after 22 years, and it was the best $50 I ever spent. :P A small price to pay, new starters are in the $400 dollar range I believe.

Andre

Comment

starter rebuild kits

Comment

Great site daveo Thanks!

Ok, I've cleaned up the starter a bit, and have reassembled it. I would like to bench test it before throwing everything back together; only to find out I did something stupid way back.

I used heavy jumper cables to hook the starter up to the battery on my truck; and all I get is some sparks. Am I testing it wrong, or have I assembled it wrong?

I did all the continuity tests described in Dan's Motorcycle (www.dansmc.com) guide; anything else I can check?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

dbelectrical.com

I found a site a while back that sells both new and remanufactured starters for our bikes. The "reman" units go for about $179 and I would think would be as good as a new one. The website is www.dbelectrical.com
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Rob, try loosing the two screws that hold it all together. When I rebuilt mine I had the same problem and loosened those screws just a little and it worked fine.

Comment

I got it all back together and it seems to be working. All I really did was clean off the commutator. From all the information, it looks like my brushes are borderline, and will likely continue arcing. In a few weeks, it will probably be dirty again, and by that time, I'll have my new brushes.

Thanks for all the help and the good links.

That site with all the brushes & rebuild kits doesn't list my bike explicitly ('85 GS550L). I'm pretty sure they have one there that will work. Does anyone have any information to confirm?

Thanks again,

Rob

Comment

Rob if you go to this page of the web site it has a listing for 83 and up gs550 so I am pretty sure you can use that one. http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/...tartmtrkit.htm here is a picture of the brush plate set that they recommend for you bike, does yours look like this?

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. Somehow I had missed it...

They have a listing for 80-82 2-brush and an 80-82 4-brush; but somehow I didn't see the 83 & up.

That is the one I had settled on, I was only unsure about the -L or -R. And of course, since I'm only getting brushes, it doesn't really matter. Although, the CWB-4 model number they list doesn't show up in their pics of brushes. The 70-107 looks right, but from that page they are all $21 instead of $14.

I'm sure a phone call will work everything out.

Thanks again for opening my eyes...

Rob

Comment

You'll need to take the parts to a starter shop to have the negative brush spot welded. They should be willing to do that for 10 bucks or so if you really feel the need to change it but I wouldn't bother. The positive brush is really easy to change with a knife to hold the spring back.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the pointer.

I'll admit that I didn't look super close, (and I'm not going to take the bike apart just to peek) but mine didn't look spot welded. It looked like the wire was just pinched under a bent-over piece of metal....

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Working...
                            X