REPLACING 85 mph SPEEDO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REPLACING 85 mph SPEEDO

I HAVE AN 81 GS-1000 AND WANTED TO KNOW IF I CAN PUT A 140 mph SPEEDO IN FROM A 78 OR 79 MODEL TO REPLACE THE 85 mph ONE IN IT NOW. WILL THE SPEEDO SLIP RIGHT INTO THE GAUGE CLUSTER AS I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY SOMEONE? ALSO, WILL IT WORK PROPERLY?

Yes - It can be done, and yes it just slips right in and is accurate ... I put an 82 model speedo and tack on my 81's and they work great !! 8)

Just make sure you buy the gauges from the same model, ie. gauges for an L model won't fit the standards ... 8O (unless you change the whole pod).

Comment

Even if you use a different model's gauges you will only need to do light rewiring. Like terminating wires for functions the new gauges don't have, or eliminating the turn signal cancellation system for example. The main thing to be worried about is the front wheel diameter should be the same between the 2 or else it won't be accurate.

Comment

How can I tell the difference, I am putting it on an 81 GS 1000 G model with the shaft drive.

Comment

I don't know wheel diameters on all models but I swapped the cluster from a 78 GS1000 (no letter) onto my 80 GS1000G without a problem - aside from the minor rewiring. From what I can tell the 80 and 81 GS1000G are pretty much the same bike.

Comment

Working...
          X