Exhaust shims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust shims?

I need some help! I removed the exhaust from my '83 1100G, sandblasted and power coated them. They look sweet. However trying to reistall them has been a chore. Part of the trouble is I'm an idiot and forgot to remove the old front gaskets before installing the new ones which made the pipes not fit. I took them off, removed the old gaskets which fixed the exhaust leaks on all pipes except one. The inner right pipe leaks and backfires. I took the bolts off, ground them down (2 threads) and tried to cinch the bracket down which helped a little. My question is, could it be the old shims that I used? I didn't replace them because they looked like they were in pretty good shape, rusted but not cracked. Could it be the old shims? There was no leak before I took the pipes off.

Oh....Thank God for Heli coil!!

Brian

They are a gasket, they can only be used once ,they work by compression.
    The good news is they are cheap and easy to get.

Comment

Are you talking about the actual gaskets (I changed them) or the 1/2 moon shaped metal shims?

Thanks

Comment

I think the shims can be reused, but if you are in doubt the can be purchased from www.crotchrocket.com for less then $5 for all four of them, thats not with shipping though.

Comment

Thanks. I'm taking it to the shop to have it looked at.

Comment

Working...
          X