Rust in Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust in Tank

I went to get on my '80 GS850G with 20k on the clock to start the riding season. ;D Then I open up the petcock to see rusty gas going into my carbs!! > . The screen inline filter I had did not even slow it down!!. I ripped the tank off and found ALLOT more rust had developed this season. I drained the gas from the tank, then I pulled the gas level sensor and leaking petcock (got a rebuild kit. Put a 50/50 mix of vinegar and CLR in the tank let that sit in there for awhile then rinsed it out with water. WOW lots of rust came out. Then used P.O.R. 15 metal prep let that sit for a bit. Then finally used denatured alcohol to get it bone dry inside. Then I P.O.R 15 fuel tank repaired it (takes 92 hours to cure!!!) AND DON?T GET IT ON YOU HANDS, SIX MONTHS TO COME OFF!!!!

Sounds like you did the exact same thing I did.

Comment

Re: Rust in Tank

Originally posted by shortlid
      Then I open up the petcock to see rusty gas going into my carbs!! > . The screen inline filter I had did not even slow it down!!. I ripped the tank off and found ALLOT more rust had developed this season!!
      Anyone have a recomended fuel filter for my '80 GS850G that will NOT let the rust RIGHT THROUGH IT!!!

Comment

Then I open up the petcock to see rusty gas going into my carbs!! > . The screen inline filter I had did not even slow it down!!. I ripped the tank off and found ALLOT more rust had developed this season!!
        Anyone have a recomended fuel filter for my '80 GS850G that will NOT let the rust RIGHT THROUGH IT!!!
        I went to Autozone and got an inline PAPER fuel filter that goes in a car. They have a whole wall of paper-in-plastic-holder fuel filters for cars. All you have to do is pick one that is the same size as your hoses and you're golden. They flow great for bikes because they're intended for car fuel lines and they catch the rust like nobody's business! Even the little dusty particles don't get past.

I like to change mine every 5 months or so.

JC Whitney link...

Dm of mD

Comment

[quote="Detman101"]
          I went to Autozone and got an inline PAPER fuel filter that goes in a car. They have a whole wall of paper-in-plastic-holder fuel filters for cars. All you have to do is pick one that is the same size as your hoses and you're golden. They flow great for bikes because they're intended for car fuel lines and they catch the rust like nobody's business! Even the little dusty particles don't get past.

I like to change mine every 5 months or so.

I saw them at my loacl autoparts place but they are WAY to big to fit between the air filter box and the petcock! Also my cheap pancake stylle one slowly MELTED in teh shape of a V!!!! It was stright when I put it on, then when I removed it the heat or something melted the nipples at either end into a angle??? Found a Uni-Filter one that is clear plastic cone syle, made in the US, at a local bike dealer wants $4,00 for it has a fine metal cone shape screen in it?? :?

Comment

i use the one demon uses too, it works good for me and i had to use the kreem system on my tank
            all is good now.
            got it at canadian tire, but before that i used one from a toyota supra i think it was,it was a paper one anyway.

Comment

Got a Visi-Filter?

All the car ones I found were like 4" long and above! Will that fit between teh petcock and the carbs on a GS?? I bought a 701C model "Cintered Bronze" Acyrlic body, 1" fuel filter from Visu-Filter

Hopefully this does the trick! 8)

Comment

Here is a picture of my bike with the car-paper filter on it if you wanted some ideas.

Sintered bronze filters won't catch the particle rust in the gas.
                Look forward to cleaning your carbs 2 months from now.

:?
                Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                  Here is a picture of my bike with the car-paper filter on it if you wanted some ideas.

Sintered bronze filters won't catch the particle rust in the gas.
                  Look forward to cleaning your carbs 2 months from now.

:?
                  Dm of mD

Can you post a close up? I can KIND of see the filter placement.

"Also my cheap pancake style one slowly MELTED in the shape of a V!!!! It was straight when I put it on, then when I removed it the heat or something melted the nipples at either end into a angle!!! The nylon one I have is the same stuff would the thin plastic for a car hold up at all?

The guy at tech. ass. at Visi-filter said same thing get a paper element one that is opaque nylon, $6 with shipping?

Comment

Let me see if I've got a closeup at home.
                    The bike is currently getting it's fork seals and steering bearing replaced at the shop and I don't have access to it.

Dm of mD

Comment

Thanks cool I am waiting also!

Thats Ok I am waiting 92 HOURS for the P.O.R. 15 Fuel Tank Sealer to cure!!!

Comment

I stay as far away from additional inline fuel filters as possbile. There is no need for a 6th inline fuel filter on our bikes- 5 is enough.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                          I stay as far away from additional inline fuel filters as possbile. There is no need for a 6th inline fuel filter on our bikes- 5 is enough.
                          I have to agree with Jethro, if you have used the por-15 then you should not have any rust in the tank and the petcock filter as well as the filters in the carbs should be enough. Most of the automotive filters are made to work with a fuel pump pushing or pulling fuel through them, where as the bikes just use gravity feed and the automotive filters won't allow enough fuel flow with just gravity.

Comment

OK with the sealed tank

OK, so you guys think that now taht I sealed my tank I should be alright with just the Cintered Bronze filter MADE FOR MOTORCYCLES??

Comment

Working...
                            X