I'VE BEEN SPLINED!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'VE BEEN SPLINED!!!!!

Deceptive little buggers aint they? I'd swear when I looked at them they looked like they were there, but upon closer inspection it seems that only the "face" of the splines is left. Overall, what a relief. So here is the question: How the heck does the old piece come out? I've removed every bolt I can find and it won't budge.

Before I get flamed to hard...I did a search, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place, so feel free to point me in the right direction.

i'm not sure. the shaftie guys are pretty civil..sometimes

Comment

In the manual it shows rubber dampners behind the driven joint. maybe they are stuck to it. Bill

Comment

What are SPLINES?
        I've looked at my bike and I don't see any SPLINES?

Oh wait.

CHAINS RULE :P :P :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Yaaaaay! Looks like old blue will live!!!!!!!!!!!!
          1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
          2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
          2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

IT"S ALIVE!!!!!.....so far everything is back together and so far no problems (knok on wood) rode to work friday and then 20 miles to my favorite coffee shop friday evening (and 20 miles back), no problems so far. I just bolted on the saddle bag supports I found on e-bay....I'm ready7 for a road trip....any suggestions?

Comment

oops..duplicate post, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Dex
                IT"S ALIVE!!!!!.....so far everything is back together and so far no problems (knok on wood) rode to work friday and then 20 miles to my favorite coffee shop friday evening (and 20 miles back), no problems so far. I just bolted on the saddle bag supports I found on e-bay....I'm ready7 for a road trip....any suggestions?
                Move up to a chainie?

BB

Comment

Originally posted by DMPLATT
                  What are SPLINES?
                  I've looked at my bike and I don't see any SPLINES?
                  Oh wait.
                  CHAINS RULE :P :P :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
                  Too bad - so sad ... your transmission is full of SPLINES!!!!!!! 8O 8)

Comment

All right Marty, what was holding that thing in???
                    1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
                    2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
                    2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Probably just the age of the rubber spacers. I had to take the wheel to the dealer to get a tire swapped anyway, so I gave up and let them do the splines and bearings too. Only cost me 40 bucks total which is much better than me going at it ignoantly and possibly breaking something.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolder Biker
                        Move up to a chainie?

BB

Funny. But, why? The bike is 23 years old, I'm the forth owner and I have no idea of the maintenance history before my dad owned it. I've had it for 5 years and this is the first drivetrain problem it's ever had. not counting the half hour wait at the dealer, it took me maybe twenty minutes to get the wheel off, lube the new splines and put it back on. The GS 450 I learned to ride on was a chain and that broke on the rode twice when I had it, and I only had it for one year. I think my average is better on the shafty so far. although I will concede that chains have there place...... :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                        X