Sidestand Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sidestand Help

Would someone be willing to take a couple of photos of how the sidestand is attached on a 1978 GS? Mine is a GS550, but I am willing to bet they are all attached the same. Thanks in advance!

I'll see what I can do for you...

I'm having a clearance issue with my new pipes. I can't get my foot on the stand to kick it down. Gotta do it by hand for now.

Later,
    Jay

Comment

Thanks, Jay!

Comment

I haven't gotten a chance to take any pictures yet, the weather's been kind of crappy when I get home from work - my camera isn't the best either.

Here's a diagram of the kick and side stands - it may help until I can get a picture or two.

Sorry for the wait,
        Jay

Comment

Sorry it took so long to get you a picture. Here you go - hope it helps.

Comment

stand

Hey Jay, I've seen that problem before. You could probably take a short piece of re-bar (or something similar and better looking) and have it welded onto the side stand (so it will stick out past the muffler). 8)

You could have it done at a muffler shop and I don't see any reason why you'd even need to take the stand off of the bike (probably better if you didn't). I bet they wouldn't charge you more than a few bucks because it would just take a couple of minutes.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Wow...thanks Jay! I forgot about this post I still can't quite make out what the upper part of the spring is attached to. I actually found out why I couldn't get the sidestand to work right. After trying to mount it up again and noticing it still wasn't right, I took it back off and looked a little closer underneath and found out that the frame is bent just beyond the sidestand mount. Looks to me like the previous owner might had caught the stand on the ground while moving or something. Looks like I'm stuck with just a center stand.

Comment

The upper part of the spring hooks through a nib on the mounting pad. It's all self contained - the only thing that hooks to the frame is the three bolts that mount the stand.

Sorry to hear about the frame, that's a bummer.

Good luck - ride safe,
                Jay

Comment

Working...
                X