Stuck gear oil drain bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck gear oil drain bolt

I have a GS 650G and I'm trying for the first time to change the gear oil. I assume that it has been changed before but I just got the bike over the winter. I am able to loosen the upper filler bolt on the geaar case but the lower bolt just does not want to come loose. I beleive it's a 21 mm head. I'm worried about damaging either the bolt or the aluminum gear case. Does anyone have any ideas about how I might loosen this nut? Any help would be much apreciated!

They can be very stuborn sometimes. Just put a little effort into it & it should come loose

Comment

what you need, is leverage, and some elbow grease. this is a big bolt, so i doubt it would be damaged if you had the correct wrench/socket on it.

two tips:

1: use a socket, and for leverage, get a metal pipe if you have one, and slip it over the ratchet, and this will give you more leverage.

i know its ghetto, but i hope it should help if you cant get it off normally.

Comment

My two favorite tools are a breaker bar and an impact wrench. So much so that I carry both on board my bike. Either one should do the trick.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks Guys! With your advice and unbridled brute force my bike now has new gear oil! Now what do I do for a hernia!?

Comment

Take the breaker bar and the impact wrench out of your pocket! 8O ...

Comment

Working...
            X