No juice going to spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No juice going to spark plugs

I've got an 82 GS450L with about 10,000 miles on it. last summer i had a problem with continually blowing fuses but once i replaced the fuse the bike would run for a few days before blowing again. at the end of last summer the bike quit firing. i recently pulled it out of the barn and here is what i've come up with. the bike wants to turn over, the starter button isnt working but it turns over really nicely when i cross over the positive and negative connections on the celenoid. the battery is fine, i regrounded it to the frame just to be sure. I tested all of the wires and there is juice running everywhere, even when the ignition and kill switch are off, which i thought was a bit odd but i definately have juice and all wires are fine. I took apart the casing around the kill switch and cleaned all the connections but they looked pretty good. I pulled the coils off the plugs and tested for spark and low and behold there was NONE, not even a hint of spark. So I'm stumped, I should be getting some sort of spark if i have live wires all over the place. Any help? Thanks guys!

I HAVE AN 83 450, I KIND OF HAD THE SAME PROBLEM FOR A WHILE. I FOUND OUT I NEEDED COILS, SO I BOUGHT A USED PAIR AND THE WORKED FINE. COUPLE WEEKS LATER I FRIED MY REGULATOR WHICH CAUSE MY BIKE NOT TO SPARK, MY 450 FOR REQUIRED THE REGULATOR TO WORK TO MAKE IT SPARK. I GOT ANOTHER ONE AND IT WORKED AGAIN. WHEREAS MY GS750 DID NOT REQUIRE THE REGUALTOR TO MAKE IT FIRE. THE BIKE RAN WITH IT OFF. SO ANYWASE CHECK THAT REGULATOR OUT.

Comment

Check to make sure you have battery power to the coils. If you have that, and the ignitor is functiong properly, you will have spark unless the coils, spark plug wires, or caps are bad.

Comment

I had a similar problem, and it turned out the small red wire with the fuse in it had a bad splice. Everything lit up, turned over, etc.., but I had no spark when I took out the plugs and turned it over with them plugged in and laying on the head. I fixed the splice (there were actually 3 8O ) and havent had a problem since.

You could have a short similar to this, because if the red wire touches anything grounded, it will blow the fuse.

Comment

P.S.: If you check the continuity of your starter button and its good, your clutch safety switch is probably bad.

Comment

I had the same problem when I first got my bike. Turned out the last person to pull the tank off put it back on wrong and somehow put a small cut in one of the coil wires. You had to look really close to find it. I fixed the wire and it was fine.
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I have a good place to start now, or restart, again. I thought that i may be grounding out somewhere. i did trace the red wire as best i could through the bike and it seemed ok. What are the odds of both coils going bad at once? just trying to narrow it down here. I definately have battery power to the coils. I hadnt even thought about the regulator. never messed with that before. if you come up with anything else let me know. meanwhile i'll be in the garage cussing and throwing things.

Comment

Working...
              X