Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 1100G carbs

Hi all,
    I am back to working on the GS again. Let it sit all winter.
    I rebuilt the carbs, dipped, new o-rings and new float valves. Also installed a new petcock.
    Set the floats at 22.5 mm as per manual and this site. Put petcock on prime and fuel runs out of vent tubes. Rechecked float levels and fuel still runs out of vent tubes. Start bike with petcock on run and fuel drips from #2 carb throat.
    The only thing that I can think of is that the main jet washers were missing when I did the teardown. These were no longer available from the dealer so I installed a 1 mm thick washer in place of the no longer available originals. If the originals were thinner this could be the cause of the flooding but I cant see the originals being any thinner than 1 mm.
    I Kreemed the tank so I do not have a rust problem. I also checked the float valves for any debri.

Any ideas?

Allan

Hi Allen, what year is your 1100? I may have some of the washers from a set of carbs that I bought for parts. It almost sounds like you floats are too heavy and not shutting the gas off.

Comment

Oh god!
      I have been riding MC's since 1970, Chopped my first bike. A 1968 Triumph TR6R. My dad started me working on engines when I was thirteen. I am presently restoring a 1966 TR6C for someone and restoring a 1973 CZ 380 for myself. My daily rider is a 2001 Honda F4I.
      I am not a novice.

Now I have to come on here and admit to something really stupid. Right after I started this post I thought that this just cant be right. There has to be something else wrong. So I went out and took one more look.

Anyone else ever mix up the fuel tubes and the vent tubes or do I have the distinction of being the first?

Red faced and self chastised in Dearborn, MI.

Allan

Comment

I actually started to ask about having the lines correct and figured I might insult you so changed my mind.

Comment

If you would, measure the thickness of the washers and let me know. I can just adjust my float settings to compensate. I would venture to say that the washers will be thicker than 1 MM.

Thanks
          Allan

Comment

The two that I found are .041 and .044 in. sorry don't know what they would be in mm.

Comment

Thanks Daniel, thats what I need.

Allan

Comment

Working...
              X