gas tank dent and dry ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas tank dent and dry ice

has anyone tried or heard of the use of dry ice to pop out dents? Would it be advisable on a gas tank?

RG

One of the guys I work with has a brother that does the paintless dent repairs and that is what they use. So yes I have heard of it, but I've never tried it myself.

Comment

DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! the way a guy i know used to pop dents in the 70's and 80's was to slosh around a little bit of gas, about 2 ounces or so in the tank, drain in out the filler hole, then light the fumes still left in the tank on fire. boom your dent in popped. I don't recommend it just thought you might find the story interesting.

Comment

Re: gas tank dent and dry ice

Originally posted by rgierer
        has anyone tried or heard of the use of dry ice to pop out dents? Would it be advisable on a gas tank?

RG
        Can you elaborate please.

8)

Comment

Originally posted by covelle
          DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME!!! the way a guy i know used to pop dents in the 70's and 80's was to slosh around a little bit of gas, about 2 ounces or so in the tank, drain in out the filler hole, then light the fumes still left in the tank on fire. boom your dent in popped. I don't recommend it just thought you might find the story interesting.
          Sounds like my little brother . We really miss him.

Just kidding. He's fine. No eyebrows but fine otherwise. Seriously though folks, I'd like some elaboration too as I have a nasty dent in my tank courtesy of the vending machine guy at work.

Comment

Originally posted by covelle
            I don't advise doing this anywhere. More than likely you'll split the tank or make it look like a big goose egg.

Gow big is the dent?

Comment

i have frozen them out.
              you completely fill the tank with water and put it in the freezer or outside if cold.gotta watch it closely though.
              if you forget it its junk.
              risky but not foolish like the gasoline stunt.

Comment

I found this:

DENTS & HAIL DAMAGE
                Dry Ice will condense metal and thereby shrink small dents on your car. Place the Dry Ice on the inside of the dent if possible. Use heavy gloves and press flat sheet against dent. If it is not possible to get on the inside concave part of the dent, then using heavy gloves hold the Dry Ice so a corner can fit into the bottom lowest part of the cratered dent. Hold the Dry Ice until the metal is frosted at least 2 inches beyond the dent. Let the metal warm up (in the sun is the best) and repeat the procedure. Sometimes the dent will pop out perfectly. More often it will not be possible to get a flat smooth finish, but the dent will be reduced noticeably. Creased metal will still show the crease line but the dent will be far less pronounced. I have not seen any paint damage, but I'm sure if the paint is not strongly adhered, it could peel away

Comment

Thanks rgierer. The Kroger near our house sells dry ice now. I'll see if I can give it a try this weekend and let you guys know how it turns out. The paint has flaked off an area about the size of a silver dollar so thats not a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet
                    Thanks rgierer. The Kroger near our house sells dry ice now. I'll see if I can give it a try this weekend and let you guys know how it turns out. The paint has flaked off an area about the size of a silver dollar so thats not a concern.
                    Please let us know. I'm curious.

Comment

Not yet

Thought I should let you guys know . . . . . been really sick with an inner ear thing for the last 3 weeks or so. Amazing how bad that can srew you up. Finally got to Dr and hopefully will be back to 100% shortly. Took me a week to get around to installing my new stator & RR because of not feeling too good so the gas tank dent experiment got sidelined. Hopefully this weekend I 'll get a chance.

Comment

Working...
                      X