Bike bogging down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike bogging down

I've got a GS650G which I just started to ride this spring after cleaning the carbs. The problem I have now is that when I ride it it seems to bog down or at least does not seem to have much power. When I give it gas it seems sort of lumbering and when I let the clutch out on a hill it wants to stall and just not go anywhere. I have checked the plugs and the 1, 2 and 3 plugs ( which i reploaced over the winter) are black and the no. 4 plug is a nice tan colour. I have replaced the air filter. I have also sprayed WD 40 all around the carbs, intake boots and air box to see if there are any leaks and nothing seemed to happen when I did this. Oh, Yeah, it also after I ride it the idle goes up to about 3500 even after I set it at 1250 when idling in the driveway. Does anyone have any ideas? All I want is a fairly unreliable impractical form of transportation that causes me to take my life in to my hands! Is this to much to ask!? (Oh yeah - and which is FUN.

You cleaned the carbs..... Did you adjust/check float height? did you make sure teh jets were installed tight? Did you make sure to install those little black plugs? Did you just 'spray clean' or did you dip the carbs? Is the petcock working properly (not stuck on "prime")?

Comment

When I cleaned the carbs I completely dipped them, replaced O-rings, replaced 3 of the four float valves and needles ( ie ones which wouldn't get clean form the dip), cleaned the float bowls, noted air screw position and replaced at same position. I didn't change the float height but did check to see that they were 22.4 mm fron the inner shelf on the carb body to the very top of the float. I do wonder whether it should have been 22.4 mm to the first step on the float bowl rather than the very top surface of the float? With respect to the petcock I don't think it's stuck on prime but I can't say that I'm sure? What would indicate that it's stuck on prime? I have the petcock ste to reserve normally, could that be an issue? I also noticed that when I was cruzing at about 40km per hr the bike would occaisionally surge forward and momentarilly feel like it had significantly more power.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunkin
        I also noticed that when I was cruzing at about 40km per hr the bike would occaisionally surge forward and momentarilly feel like it had significantly more power.
        Sounds like one of your sparkplug wires may be bad and cutting in and out. I have this problem on my bike currently with the #1 cylinders plug-wire. Below a certain rpm the wire just won't send the spark through consistently. I can hear and feel it stuttering and sounding like it's running on 3 cylinders compared to how it sounds when I know all 4 are running. It's an intermittent problem but I will have money for some quality sparkplug wires in another week from tomorrow.

Dm of mD

Comment

After you cleaned the carbs did you sync them? Do you have a manuel for your bike? I would reset the floats they should be 22.4mm from the gasket surface (without the gasket installed) then I would adjust the carbs pilot (air) screws. Then do a good carb sync.

Comment

Dunkin, if the bike idles significantly higher when hot, you have an intake leak.
            Check the manifolds for condition/any cracking. Look up your carbs in your manual or at Bikebandit or ? and see if the manifolds have o-rings. If the clamps are loose, try tightening them first.
            If the clamps are tight, then it's your manifolds or o-rings.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I just replaced the o rings in the intake boots on my 650 G and it made a tremendous difference in starting and warmup. Not to mention perfect throttle response. Best 7 dollars I ever spent at a dealer, those rings should be changed every few years regardless.

Sounds like your problem is similar. Carbs use vacuum to determine fuel delivery, it is a key component. If there is a vacuum leak no matter how small all kinds of bad things happen.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
              X