oil in the muffler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil in the muffler

um, here's a question. there's oil coming out of my left muffler. actually, there's a hole in the pipe near the back, and oil is leaking out there. so my question is, how the hell does oil get in the muffler? let's hear all the options. I'll start. worn rings, right? its a 81 suzuki 450

Re: oil in the muffler

If enough oil is passing through your left cylinder to collect and drip from the left muffler, that sparkplug should be VERY fouled looking.
    Check your plugs. If both look the same and the right muffler is dry, then the oil certainly isnt being burned in the cylinder. Its possible chain oil could be thrown/drip onto the collars on the header to muffler joint and be running into the pipe.
    The condition of the plugs will tell you if youre burning oil. Also, do you notice high oil consumption? Have to add oil all the time?

Earl

Originally posted by brock
    um, here's a question. there's oil coming out of my left muffler. actually, there's a hole in the pipe near the back, and oil is leaking out there. so my question is, how the hell does oil get in the muffler? let's hear all the options. I'll start. worn rings, right? its a 81 suzuki 450
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Like Earl said, your left spark plug must be covered with (burned) oil, if it's oil that's coming out of the muffler. Your GS should almost be running on one cylinder, producing A LOT OF SMOKE in the left exhaust.
      Are you sure it's oil, and not just condensation? Could be just water dripping out.

Comment

that could be gas mixing with the oil too.

Comment

There are a few possibilities.

Your rings are worn.

Your rings are worn heaps and they have damaged your cylinder.

Your exhaust valve guide seals are hardened with age and not sealing. This means the oil is not burning in the combusion chamber but coming down the valve guide and being blown out the pipe with the exhaust gas.

Your valve guides themselves are worn and leaking oil as above.

Your valve guides are loose in the head and leaking oil as above.

Replacing rings means taking the head and barrels off.
          Replacing the valve guide seals means taking the head off.
          You can buy engine oil additive stuff that will rejuvenate your seals but new ones will be needed sooner or later.

Kim

Comment

One other possiblity is a holed piston.

Comment

Working...
            X