1979 GS850 Air box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850 Air box?

Hello. I just got this bike a month ago and have been going thru it. I upgraded to a K&N stock style air filter. When I installed it, it doesn't seem to fit tight against the top of the air box. I am wondering if there is a rubber seal that is missing.

Appreciate clarification on this. I don't want to suck unfiltered air into the engine. Let me also say, that the K&N filter installs into the original filter cartridge. So, the original had the same gap.

Rick

I don't know about your exact model, but on my '78 GS750, there is a thin ring of foam that is glued to the top of the inside of the airbox just outside of the air outlet. The metal air filter frame presses against the foam to seal it. The foam is about 1/8" or so thick and about 7/8" wide. It's not a very dense foam - very large 'bubbles' and not much mass - you can almost see through it.

Comment

I had the same issue with my 1980 GS 850 GL. What I did was to buy some weather stripping that was about the size of the space and about 1/2 inch wide. I put this weatherstripping on the housing. When teh air filter is slid in place it makes a nice seal. These GS's really like a tight air box so you need to fill that space.

Comment

Thanks a bunch. Did you use rubber or the foam type seal?

Rick

Comment

I used a foam type weather strip. I have heard people use a soft or a hard foam. I used a firm foam strip. Works great.

Comment

Thanks. Will do that before I run her again.

Rick

Comment

Working...
            X