oil leak near oil pressure switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak near oil pressure switch

What a great spring. I have a very small leak that seems to be coming from the housing for the oil pressure switch on my 1980 GS 850 GL. At least that is where it seems to be coming from. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to look for. Is it the O ring? Housing? Switch?

Should oil be able to come out of this housing at all?

It's a very small leak but is annoying. My air filter cover on the right side gets a thin coating of oil after a couple days of riding. So I want to clear it up. Thanks in advance.

Basil

Simple

I don't think you have much of a problem. It's probably from the rubber "O" ring from the filter housing. Or, maybe the acorn nuts aren't uniformly tight. It's easy to check out and fix but make certain you don't overtighten the cover; with a decent "O" ring, it simply isn't necessary to make it very tight.

One other possibility is that it could be leaking from the oil plug sensor unit. Also, an easy fix! (but I doubt that's where it's leaking). Good luck!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Since it sounds like it's been going on for a bit, make sure you clean the area before you take the unit off. That spot is where all your oil flows before going thru the engine, so dirt in there is especially bad. It should be a pretty easy fix though, it's probably just a bad o-ring.

Comment

The oil pressure switch o-ring doesn't leak very often, although it's possible. Oil in that area is far more likely to be coming from the cam chain tensioner, which sits directly above the oil pressure switch.

Either way, it's fairly simple and very inexpensive to fix.

Here's the cam chain tensioner seal info:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

WOW

WOW!! Your website is absolutely AWESOME! Thanks!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
          X