Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS 550L Stator rewind question.... how many winds/coil

Ok,
    I have a 1981 GS 550 L and went thru the stator pages and diagnosed the stator as faulty.

I pulled off the cover and my suspicions have been confirmed that it was a crappy rewind job done by one of the PO's (these people were sloppy enough that they reinstalled screws with stripped heads).

So long story short, the rewind wires aren't epoxied at all, and the rewind doesn't look the least bit neat... so I doubt whether the amount of winds is correct, or even the same for each coil.

Can someone give me a baseline as for how many winds I should be putting on per coil.

Thanks,
    Curtis

P.S. I'll be posting photos somewhere along with a step by step when done

All kidding aside i would look at dennis kirk and check the price i think a new ricks is about $130 or maybe ebay for a used one. For some reason the idea of trying to rewind a stator CORRECTLY seems scary to me !!!

Comment

Did you try the Search feature about rewind stator? :roll:
      You will find some interesting info.

Good luck.

Eliseo.

Comment

I did try the search feature... found some info but nothing quite what I wanted (but close enough that it'll work in the absense of an answer to my post).

Rewinding my own is kinda scary I'll admit... but ya know, if it doesn't work then all that's wasted is a good part of a day and I'll have to order the correct part anyways. If it does, I'll get to be the "yup... AND I wound my own stator... oh what's a stator... it's part of the charging system... yes I know you don't care but act like ya do anyways" guy :-)

Curtis

Comment

The Stator Papers in the GS-resource website has all the info you need to rewind your stator successfully... http://www.thegsresources.com/garage...atorrewind.htm

good luck!!

Comment

Yah... the stator papers are what helped me diagnose both as faulty :-)

Gave up on the rewind (the good ol "Ah... screwit I'd rather have it done right than have to deal with this mess again"!)

Ended up getting a ricks reg/rect and stator (in retrospect I shoulda gotten an electrex r/r) and will be moving the mounting position of the new r/r to the front of the bike for cooling reasons.

It's amazing how bright my lights are now!

As an aside, the ONE thing that I had an issue with was the damned oil filter gasket. Had gotten a new oil filter and the new gasket apparently slipped some during install... start the engine and whoosh comes lot's o oil...

Oh well... ONLY lost 25 bucks worth of oil... and a stripped out acorn nut to boot (I'll repeat what everyone else has... DON"T torque the damn oil filter bolts!

Curtis

Comment

Working...
            X