Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!!! Im stupid and Ive messed up big time

I have a small crack in the oil way on the right hand side of my motor
    at some time before I had the bike it had been down hard on that side, and how being nosey and stupid, I undid the the bolt took a look and then did it up again I guess a little heavy handedly and (click) I saw the crack appear
    Now it leaks through that crack even on tick over, it wont be ridable for sure
    See picture

My Idea maybe is to grind the top of the crack in to a slight slot, then get it tig welded, I was thinking JB weld or EPOXY or it a complete waste of time
    P.S. the crack is hardly even visiable it just seeps oil

You should be able to "get by" with JB Weld. There are people here who have used it on their cases. The oil pressure is very low in these engines. Have you tried holding your thumb down on the crack with the engine revving? As a quick test I think you should be able to hold in the oil by putting your thumb on the crack.

Steve

Comment

Another thought I just had was you could put a freeze plug deep in the hole?

Steve

Comment

I think you will be fine with J.B. Weld if you first take a dremel and cut a small "V" for the JB to fill. Take some acetone and clean any oil residue from the crack before using the JB. I have used JB to repair fractures in an oil filter cover and it has worked well, so you shouldnt have a problem with that location.

I would let the JB harden overnight without running the bike.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

whats a freeze Plug Steve?

Comment

Originally posted by joe.d
            I can't beleive I'm going to say this - it's a cold butt plug!

Comment

DOH,,,,,,PUNCHES!!! Swanny......if you were here right now...Id id Id.....EOOOUUCCGH

Comment

Just be sure to dremel the area for a good fit and swab generously with acetone before JB Welding the plug into place.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by Swanny
                Originally posted by joe.d
                I can't beleive I'm going to say this - it's a cold butt plug!
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

OMG! haha, it is the thing you remove to put in a block heater. It's a concave aluminum disc that expands when you pound on it with a hammer. Another option would be to machine a plug that's a bit bigger than the oil passageway and pound that in as you would a butt plug. The trick would be to get it in there without cracking the case any more. If I recall correctly you are a machinist right?

Steve

Comment

Nah Im a Welder, But only MIG....just mild steel. I make Spiral Staircases
                    I dont think I can put a longer plug in there, becouse where the bolt ends when threaded all the way in is where a oil passage runs down to the crank...and up through the block and in to the cylinder head

Comment

I have used JB Weld on a cracked Ford 460 V8 head before. Used a grinder cut a V and cleaned it real well with acetone. Still there to this day, holding strong and we race the car. I think you will be fine using JB Weld. I use that stuff for just about anything itf you want to fix a broken plastic side cover or a large rust hole in a body panel you and mix JB Weld lay a thin layer of it down put some fiberglass material over that and then another thin coat of JB Weld and it is stronger than before. The great thing is you can sand it and paint it too.

Comment

I was thinking I could even get a hose clamp on the crack after a I JB weld it to close the crack

Comment

SO whats the very worst case....find a new set of Crank cases....I can do it....BUT FUGG

Comment

I would think that putting a hose clamp or whatever on the crack while the jb weld set up would cause the metal to rebound when you released the clamp, breaking the bond.

Comment

probably right 3 phase

Comment

Working...
                              X