Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop guy says a 17-80-140 is ok for my GS550T?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop guy says a 17-80-140 is ok for my GS550T?!

Well my tires are pretty worn down so I decided to purchase a new set at a local shop. I currently have a battleax 17-19-120 on my rear and was recommended a GT501 17-80-140 for my rear tire. Now, I've heard many good things about the GT's from this site but i have not heard of anyone fitting a 140 to these bikes. I was assured it would fit fine but I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem? Isn't it going to hit the swingarm or something? Would do you think?

Re: Shop guy says a 17-80-140 is ok for my GS550T?!

I believe the stock rim width is too narrow to be able mount a 140 width tire without causing a pinched tire profile and reduced contact patch to the road.
    I would not use a tire larger than a 130 on the bike.

Earl

Originally posted by johnbot
    Well my tires are pretty worn down so I decided to purchase a new set at a local shop. I currently have a battleax 17-19-120 on my rear and was recommended a GT501 17-80-140 for my rear tire. Now, I've heard many good things about the GT's from this site but i have not heard of anyone fitting a 140 to these bikes. I was assured it would fit fine but I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem? Isn't it going to hit the swingarm or something? Would do you think?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Shop guy wants to sell a tire more than he wants to help you out. Earl's right. 130 is the maximum size for your rim and that's pushing its limits.
      I've got a 17X90X130 on my 550 and it doesn't handle any better than the 120 and could be wearing quicker than normal because it pinches the tire and makes the crown higher than normal.

Besides, I don't think a 140 will fit your frame. 130 only clears my torque link rod by a literal hair. Do some checking and save yourself some hassle.

Comment

Yep, its sometimes not understood that installing a too wide tire on a narrow rim, does not increase traction or handling. It is the opposite. The bike will handle and stop less capably than it will with the proper tire size.

Earl

Originally posted by jimcor
        Shop guy wants to sell a tire more than he wants to help you out. Earl's right. 130 is the maximum size for your rim and that's pushing its limits.
        I've got a 17X90X130 on my 550 and it doesn't handle any better than the 120 and could be wearing quicker than normal because it pinches the tire and makes the crown higher than normal.

Besides, I don't think a 140 will fit your frame. 130 only clears my torque link rod by a literal hair. Do some checking and save yourself some hassle.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

These guys are right. Your tire profile will be distorted with too much curvature and the bike will feel like it wants to fall from side to side. You won't like it.

Comment

thanks for the quick responses. I called up and had the guy switch to my standard battle ax 17-90-120

Comment

You're much better of with that tire. BTW. tires are usually designated in width, profile and diameter, so the tire size is 120-90-17. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by johnbot
              thanks for the quick responses. I called up and had the guy switch to my standard battle ax 17-90-120

Comment

I have IRC Duotour RS-310 in 120/90 17 They were only 55.00 each and I am happy with them.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                X