Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

synthetic oil, how often do you change it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

synthetic oil, how often do you change it?

Just a thought while reading an other post about synthetic oil.

I make mine last the season 5,000 to 7,000 km. This is because I think its great oil. I used to change every 3,000 km but think its like throwing money away($10 a liter amsoil).

What do you think?

I generally double my intervals if running synthetic instead of dino. I will change dino oil every 3000km in my bikes and synthetic every 5-6000km. I would say you are right on with your mileages.

Mark

Comment

I use Mobil 1. I change it every 1500-2000 miles. Its cheaper than engine work. :-)

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

2000 miles. Synthetic or Dino, Tranny's really tear up oil.

Comment

I think old age and laziness makes me stretch out the changes. If it was Dino oil no way would I go past 3000 km or approx 1800 mi. I've done this the last few years and have noticed the oil is definitely dirty when I'm done.

At one time I would run 10 40 in the spring and the heaver oil in the summer. Not any more, 10 40 all year.

Thanks for the input

Comment

Syn or dyno, they both get dirty at the same rate- has nothing to do with the oil, folks. Change no later than the manufacturers recommended interval, no matter how much money you spent on the oil.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Oh no... not another 'oil' posting :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                I use Mobil 1. I change it every 1500-2000 miles. Its cheaper than engine work. :-)

Earl
                Man, I thought you NEVER had to change sythetic? :twisted: :P 8)

Comment

Originally posted by tfb
                  Oh no... not another 'oil' posting :roll:
                  [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAD5AlsWlkR6r7Y8an4M!V9eNsiTU!WCrD5Sz5t9led5tDl3z Z9v6s2f*X!7PtO2TJGtbbB3PpXhCktdn4MkV0TcoO6iHa1UY1V MOcDfgk84AAAAynIdAg/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SAD5AlsWlkR6r7Y8an4M!V9eNsiTU!WCrD5Sz5t9led5tDl3z Z9v6s2f*X!7PtO2TJGtbbB3PpXhCktdn4MkV0TcoO6iHa1UY1V MOcDfgk84AAAAynIdAg/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Well Dave, its an old bike and it will run just fine no matter what you do to it, leave off, or out. If its too much trouble, dont bother putting any oil in it.
                    :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by DMPLATT

Man, I thought you NEVER had to change sythetic? :twisted: :P 8)
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                      Syn or dyno, they both get dirty at the same rate- has nothing to do with the oil, folks. Change no later than the manufacturers recommended interval, no matter how much money you spent on the oil.

bang on! its the dirt that builds up after the milage that is the same whether you put in dino, synthetic, or spaceship oil in your bike......

i'll be changing my mobil 1 synthetic every 3500km. but then again, i got some free oil. 8)

Comment

Working...
                      X