Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after a recharge of ny battery the voltage maximum is 12.01

so i ran the bike and checked the voltage in idle and i was at 11.89

i checked by 5 to 9 times and the voltage always go down.

My final reading was 11.30.I stopped the motor and try to start again then nothing.

I took the bike of my brother (same as mine, gs1150).once in running I took a reading it was at 13.9 volts.

So I have an electrical problem : regulator/rectifier or magneto (case with starter clutch)

Comment

You should get at least 12.6 volts from the battery when charged. With 11.89 running YOU need to go to the stator pages & check your charging circuit

Comment

I had the same problem when I was trying to diagnose some problems with my CB. Heck, the battery would even hold a charge at 12.5V. But when running, it would read around 10.5 V at idle and only top off to 12.5 or so at above 5000 RPM.

Guess what?

Took the battery to Advance Auto Parts, they load tested it and said it was bad, hooked me up with a new battery........ and every thing was solved!

So the problems you are experiencing may be 100% caused by a bad battery. And if it's only holding 12.2 or below IT'S TRASH. Get a new battery and your problems will be solved - I guarantee it!

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by crc1214
          So the problems you are experiencing may be 100% caused by a bad battery. And if it's only holding 12.2 or below IT'S TRASH. Get a new battery and your problems will be solved - I guarantee it!

Chad
          I would still check out the stator papers and eliminate any doubt. I thought that too, and replaced my battery, and I just got more headache and more bump-starting. If you read the Hot and ground with the bike running, and it is less than 13, Your charging system is bad! Even if your battery is junk, the bike should still want to charge it, putting out 14 or so volts to the batt.

Comment

You can indeed get less than 12V at idle with a bad battery, and find out your charging system is absolutely perfect with new battery installed. I've had it happen twice.

Don't be scared just yet about the low reading at idle. Your battery is trash with only 12.01 at the terminals after leveling off from a charge. Now, if you've ran it with a bad battery for a long time, there's a chance that one or more of your charging system componenents is blown.

BUT, if these symptoms JUST occured, and perhaps your taking the bike out of storage from winter (maybe you didn't charge the battery over the winter???), then there's a damned good chance that your battery is the only thing at fault.

Chad

Comment

HI thanx for your reply

I check (like i said) with the r/r of my brother's bike and it was the same charging faulty number.

So when I get a chance (I work all the week-end) to change the battery with the same guy (he got a new one from 2 weeks ago) and see if my battery is faulty .

Now I know that my regulator is good ( save 135$ us for a new one )

I'll give you news when done

thanx matrix

Comment

i did what I wrote and ...

to change the battery with a new one changed nothing ....

Comment

Matrix, hey, you are getting closer.

yep, like others have said, your charging system has a problem, it is not charging. Like you siad, with bike running the voltage isnt any higher than the battery was without bike running, so charging is not working at all.

Good to see that you do have a voltmeter.

Now you need to find the wires/connectors going from the stator to the regulator-rectifyer. Typically behind the left side panel and/or just in lower front of it in a rubber boot. Follow the test proceedure in the stator papers (of this web site), to measure voltage output of stator, the ohm reading of the stator, and ohm readings of the R-R. You are sure to find either the stator or the R-R or both to be bad.

Then you will want to explore where you can get Electrix replacements or salvage replacement parts. Zuki replacement parts are much more expensive.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yep, I would say stator for sure. Good job so far, Matrix, keep up the good work.

Comment

OH my God !!!

It'S my stator !! I follow the stator paper .

volts on the red wire is supposed to be 0.2 and I have 0.5 ( on r/r)
                      on the black supposed to be 0.2 and I have the same

the voltage on the stator is supposed to equal and not lower to 60 v

I got ..... 6 volt , 19 volt , and 12 volt

I'm in deep heuu... you know

with all these answer I have to keep in mind to change the r/r too cause a bad r/r can burn your stator

so I have to put on my bike another 300$ Can. monopoly money

Comment

Congratualtions, Matrix! I knew you could do it... Now, that was the easy part... Get a new gasket and some loc-tite, and prepare to spend a whole saturday pulling it out!

Comment

hi

I have bought a brand new stator for gs 1985 for only 250$ Can with taxe

I'm so happy of my deal brand new for the box

So I replaced it within 25min. I ran the bike in idle and checked my voltage to the battery and I got 13.99 volts

i disconnected the 3 yellow wires ran up to 5000 rpm : I got 100 volt

after my supper I went to ride by bicycle (queen song) for about 1 hour and a half took my volt on my discharged battery 13.01 volt and after 2 hours in garage (no running) it goes to 12,77 volts

is that good now ?

Comment

Thats it, Matrix, you got 'er done!! Woo Hoo!

Always great to hear a story with a happy ending.

Good job and good luck.

Comment

Thanx to all of you for help

long life to gs resources

Comment

Working...
                              X