• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1982 GS550M Project

Okay check it out guys.

Lots left

Complete rear end together with brakes all bled

Engine doesnt looks quite right.. wait. huh?

The carbs.. Wait... 91 KAT?! this is a GS 550 though

Could be cleaner... ill clean them

Rear Light

Pushing the brake

Headlight

22,xxx kms pretty good

Almost spotless (sarcasm implied)

I just need to space out the rear sproket looks like

The front wheel needs his best freind. Mr Forks. without him hes just not the same.

Volvo... crying. Rz... trying to get attention.. and the gs getting its TLC and spotlight.

Give us some info on what the end result is going to be. Just a motor swap? New swingarm and wheel? I like the start, but where are you going with it? Inquiring minds need to know. 8)

Comment

Where did you get the engine? The reason I ask is the local salvage yard here marks their engines exactly like that..but it may be just chance... looks like this is a sweet project!

Hap

Comment

I worked at a junkyard in scarborough in canada and it was marked the same.. i got this engine from a yard in kitchener...

The Bike will be COMPLETELY original lookin only thing is its going to have an oil cooler and it will have a black engine. Same swing arm same everything. Hopefully it I wont lose any feel. and it will feel easier around corners.

Comment

How did you mount up the engine? What kind of mods to the mounts? Did the exhaust clear the frame fine? Have to cut anything? Will the carbs fit?

Comment

How did you mount up the engine? What kind of mods to the mounts?
            Like low gauge steel and bolts...

Did the exhaust clear the frame fine?
            The exaust hasnt been mounted yet i dont have the exaust for the engine.. just the 550 Exaust.

Have to cut anything?
            I havent cut anything so far. I got the engine in with the tank on too.

Will the carbs fit?
            The carbs will fit but the airbox wont. Ithink im going to have to put pod filters.

Comment

Nice 8)8)
              I remember my 1982 GS550MZ very well, I beat on her for almost 5 yrs before I got hit by a drunk driver.. hit and run of course..

I miss the gear position indicator most well the seat was kewl,, and the gas tank lines, dangit the whole enchilada was nice...

I see your stepping up the power plant, nice choice :twisted:

Keeps us updated, and also fill in the blacks, with some more details and pics.

Peace,
              Ron

Comment

What numbers is that engine supposed to put out? I'm glad it fits so nicely. now I'm tempted.... *grumbles* Evil bikers giving me ideas...

Are you upgrading the suspention while you're at it?
                You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

hey nerobro whatever happened to those forks.. I really need them right around now....

anyways here is what i did to get around it.

The bike....

This is 1'' gas line pipe from home depot, 24'' for 6.50$

This is what it looks like cut in half

I am going to slide it into this hole

This is the fork, i need to weld around it... Note the screw on cap to fill oil.

This is the Edge I have to fill with Weld. ITs gonna be tricky.

Well once thats done I can support the front end and wheel the bike around.

Reminds me of those honda civics they lower

Thats it. Its so low. I cant get it back on the center stand... I need to fill the forks with sand or something. I cant put oil or water it will leak...

So anyways, does anybody have a set of forks?

I have no idea whatever happened to nerobro.

Comment

Looking goog man. Keep at it.

Comment

I have a 600 Katana that I am parting out. The front end is all there, it just needs fork seals and a new tire. I'll try to get some pictures of it tonight and e-mail them to you, then just make me an offer.

Comment

Anyone eles have a set of gs550 forks for an 82 ?

Comment

One

Two

Three

Four

Comment

Five

Six

Enjoy

I made a new video of the go cart for those of you who like hip hop.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Thats the you tube link.

And there is of course my head strong rocker version here:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Give me a call if you are interested.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2006, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X