No announcement yet.

Need help with 1980 GS550L Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't overlook the possibility that the old wiring harness simply isn't feeding enough amps to the horns anymore. A lot of people retrofit heavier cable and an automotive relay to their bikes so that they can get juice directly from the battery -- don't forget a weather resistant in-line fuse holder (and 20 or 30 amp fuse, depending on the draw from the horns).

To test the horn itself, remove it from the bike and jump it to your battery directly (or leave it on the bike and get heavy wire to use as jumpers from the battery) ... if it works, you know the problem is the wiring harness.

Enjoy,
    Steve 8)

Comment

Being a novice myself, I have only 1 thing by way of advice for you (and it's really not related to your carb trouble) and I hope you find it as cool as I did when I figured it out:

You said "Unfortunately the choke won't stay out by itself so I have to hold it out. That means that I have to have someone help since I only have 2 hands"

My choke plunger won't stay out unless you maintain pulling pressure either, so, I engage the clutch lever with my left hand (obviously) and pull the Choke plunger completely up with my right hand and pivot my right elbow up and over to hit the starter button. Works like a charm. Well, it works like a charm if your bike starts quickly. Yours will soon.

I just yesterday got my bike running (1981 GS650EX) after going through the carbs (only I did not pull them apart, so no synching was required) only to find out that the rear brake system has to be overhauled and so I can't ride for some days/weeks yet!!!

AAAAAArrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhh!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of vintage Japanes bikes.

:~)

And finally: I live in Charleston WV now but used to live in the Topeka area years ago. Graduated high school in the Holton, KS area (Jackson Heights). Actually lived in Shawnee, KS before moving here 2 years ago.

Best of luck.

Comment

The mechanic fixed the problem with the choke for me!! He was messing with it trying to make it work better and in the process made it much worse. He ended up pulling a good cable off of another bike and it works great!!! It even stays out all by itself

My wife graduated from Holton high school.... and her brother lives in Shawnee KS right now.... small world eh

Comment

Working...
        X