whats going on with mobil 1 synth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats going on with mobil 1 synth

i can't find the old type of oil use to use in my bike, i htink it was the red cap mobil 1 synth 20w/50 or 15w/50, i can't rember, it was what ever high performance oil they use to have, (adam what was the wieght of the red capped mobil one). Now all i can find is a whole bunch of diffrent type of mobil one, clean runnning high endurance, racing 0w-50 and i have no idea what to use, i and scarded about picking one of these new oil mixes they seem to have and it have the wrong kind of stuff in it and messing up my clutch, the old mobil one i use worked really good and i would just like to find the closes match to what that was.

take a look the stuff is ever confusing.

The right motor oil makes a difference. Regardless of whether your car or truck is new or a long-standing family member, the motor oil that goes in the engine does make a difference.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

The Mobil oils your speaking of just have been improved and updated, nothing more. The 5000, 7500, and Clean High Mileage oils are simply new versions of the dino-based Mobil Drive clean conventional oils. The 'red cap' 15w-50 you were using is still available, just in a pretty new bottle.
    Basically, Mobil One has been proven through the years to safely exceed 15000 mile intervals in the Average engine. Some longer, some shorter, so now they can put it on the bottle with enough reasonable assurance that no oil-related claims will pop-up to haunt them. Much like the technology of engines has gotten so reliable that Hyundai and other manufacturers can expect 100,000 miles out of an engine with a very high degree of compliance, even if maintenance was lacking. hence the 10 year/100,000 mile warrentees.

Comment

well being mad at mobil one i bought some valvoline sythetic motorcycle oil, 20w-50 do you guys think this is to heavy a oil for my 550, keep in mind i run the 550 hot due to lots of wot and staying in the 7k rpm range if not a little higher some times. i don't have a cooler installed yep but plan on it soon. so what do you guys think, should i take the oil back and get some 15w-50 mobil one or just use this stuff. i am planing on doing my oil tommorrow so please let me know what you think.

thanks for the info propflux

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

my personal recommendation is the M1 15w-50. or if using Dino, a good 15w-40 'diesel' oil.

Comment

No doubt your service manual says 10W40...so I'd be careful running 20w50.

Propflux is right, the Mobil 1 didn't change, just the marketing scheme and pricing...both negative. I too went looking for the red cap M1 (15w50) and found only a gold cap version of the new stuff. I reluctantly put it in my bike and it's been doing okay. I've got 600-700 miles on it already.

I did notice the new stuff is a newer SL rating...it's a notch higher on the scale now. Some avid motor oil junkies will say anything over SG is not recommended for motorcycles due to the wet clutch...though I say it's fine, I've ran it that way for over 2 years now.

~Adam

Comment

Ryan,

I just bought 15w-50 red cap Mobil 1 'Performance Driving Formula' at Pep Boys at 851 E. Roosevelt Road (Rte. 38 ) in Lombard. I could stop by and see if they have more, just let me know.

Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

the mobil shipment should be coming into the lube shop i worked at sometime this week , so i'll let you know if its changed up here in canada too.

running 10w40 now, but gonna use 15w50 red cap soon.

Comment

In the oriiginal Suzuki manual for my 450 reccomends 10w-40 for "normal use". However it has a chart of temperature ranges to use diffrent oil weights. Also, normal use in the '80s was speeds of 55mph which the engine runs about 4500-5000rpm, now with speeds of 70mph it runs about 6500-7000rpm. On my last oil change I went with 20w-50 b/c of the rpms it runs as well as the temps we see here in the summer, and so far I have not had a probelm (about 300miles thus far).

Comment

Normally I run vegetable oil, but for hardcore racing I use extra virgin olive oil

Comment

The gold cap is now what the red cap was.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysPurged
                      Normally I run vegetable oil, but for hardcore racing I use extra virgin olive oil
                      Extra virgin...hmmmm.....

Comment

Working...
                      X