wiring issues-dyna ignition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring issues-dyna ignition?

:? I just picked up a used dyna S ignition & coils off of a 82-1100E to use on my 80-850.I downloaded instructions for the ignition from the dyna website & everything seems straightforward enough.There's 3 wires(blk,white & red)bundled together coming out of unit.On my unit there's also a separate blk. wire thats wire tied to the outside of the other 3 wires.Its got a round connector that looks like it was attached to one of the base plate mounting screws.Dyna's instructions do not show this extra wire.Does anyone know what it's for & can I remove it?All I can think of is it's a ground for something but I don't know what.Thanks!

Re: wiring issues-dyna ignition?

A Dyna "S" only has three wires, red, black and white. The red is switched 12v positive and connects to either the positive wire leading to your coils or to a switched ignition lead. The black and white wires connect your crankshaft pickups to the appropriate negative lead on your coils. Usually. black would be the left crankshaft pickup and connect to the left coil neg terminal for cylinders 1 and 4. White would be the right crankshaft pickup, connect to the right coil neg teerminal and be for cylinders 2 and 3.
    You can remove the extra black lead as there is no need for it.

Earl

Originally posted by herb
    :? I just picked up a used dyna S ignition & coils off of a 82-1100E to use on my 80-850.I downloaded instructions for the ignition from the dyna website & everything seems straightforward enough.There's 3 wires(blk,white & red)bundled together coming out of unit.On my unit there's also a separate blk. wire thats wire tied to the outside of the other 3 wires.Its got a round connector that looks like it was attached to one of the base plate mounting screws.Dyna's instructions do not show this extra wire.Does anyone know what it's for & can I remove it?All I can think of is it's a ground for something but I don't know what.Thanks!
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Wiring issues-dyna ignition?

Thankyou earl-thats what I thought-just needed to get a little confirmation.

Comment

Re: Wiring issues-dyna ignition?

Y'all is welcome. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by herb
        Thankyou earl-thats what I thought-just needed to get a little confirmation.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I still use the S for a pickup on my old MSD ignition. The problem with the S was that they picked the ground up from the block. All of their newer units have a seperate ground. I wonder if this was something that was put on yours by the previous owner or if Dyna added it. I have never seen one like you describe.

Is the plate blue, or natural?

Comment

Wiring issues-dyna ignition?

The mounting plate is natural & the rotor is blue.

Comment

Working...
            X