4" over swingarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4" over swingarm

I've built a gorgeous swingarm for my son's bike. I originally built it for a drag bike that never got built. There are no swing arm bushings in it because it would have been ridgid.
    My question is this. I can forsee huge problems getting the proper stock type needle bearings. Is there any problem using a sealed roller bearing in it's place. Would this work??
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

I should add that it is going on an 82 gs1100.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

You need to use the correct type needle brgs A roller brg will not take the necessary side loads

Comment

Well, there is no correct type since this is a custom job

Comment

Seems to me that it should work with roller bearings. A swingarm pivot doesn't really take any side load to speak of. If there was, they'd have tapered bearings. Any load will end up being a radial input on the bearings on one side or the other. I don't think that ball bearings would be good though. Just make sure the tolerances are as tight as possible.

Some pics would be nice too

Comment

That's what I thought too Marcello. To my way of thinking, the sealed unit would be much easier to find & install as long as it would safely work.

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X