Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no counter shaft sprocket star washer is it ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no counter shaft sprocket star washer is it ok?

hey folks
    Not a suzuki question but a motorcycle question in general. I had a kawasaki ZRX 1200 and traded it in for the ZZR 1200. the zzr comes stock with a 17 tooth sprocket . The zrx had a 16 tooth on it. I took the 16 tooth and installed it on the zrx. because of the offset i cant fit the saftey star washer. I alligned it and it fits fine , it just wont allow the starwasher. I cleaned all the threads then blue loctited the nut on and tourqed the nut on with my electic impact gun. do you think that it will loosen with out the starwasher? I cant remember ever finding the nut loose on any of my bikes before, but I always used the star washer

Re: no counter shaft sprocket star washer is it ok?

I would not trust the loctite on that Skip. A star washer normally has the edge bent 90 deg so it is against a flat on the nut. I would order one of the nylon insert locking nuts. (the 1150 comes stock with one)

If the countershaft sprocket comes off, it going to make a big mess.

Earl

Originally posted by skip[
    hey folks
    Not a suzuki question but a motorcycle question in general. I had a kawasaki ZRX 1200 and traded it in for the ZZR 1200. the zzr comes stock with a 17 tooth sprocket . The zrx had a 16 tooth on it. I took the 16 tooth and installed it on the zrx. because of the offset i cant fit the saftey star washer. I alligned it and it fits fine , it just wont allow the starwasher. I cleaned all the threads then blue loctited the nut on and tourqed the nut on with my electic impact gun. do you think that it will loosen with out the starwasher? I cant remember ever finding the nut loose on any of my bikes before, but I always used the star washer
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Had a shop put a new chain and sprockets on.A year later I'm coming home from work and the bike goes unresponsive to the throttle. Thankfully I was almost home, pushed it home (uphill, ugh).Found that they didn't get the star washer bent over enough to keep the nut in place.Everthing backed out. The splines for the sprocket were resting on the threads of the countershaft when I got it apart.Luckily, no damage.Put it all back together and rode to the shop and let them know.Got a free nut and washer for my trouble.Another 1/4 inch to the left and it would have been a big scary mess.

Comment

Yes, I had exactly the same thing happen to me with an old Kawasaki z400 (or kz400 as I think they're known in America)... and as you say, Robert, another 1/4" and it would have been disastrous.

The way I think about it is this: If a drop of Loctite could really do the job, then you can be sure that bike manufacturers wouldn't go to the trouble of making and installing lockwashers!

So I definitely wouldn't feel safe without the proper lockwasher.

Mike.

Comment

Agree with the posts. However if you look at the offset sprocket the car tire bikes like mine, there is no way to put any kind of a washer on them. I use ProLock on it, over torque it and check it often. It has never came loose on mine. I would not risk it on a street bike.

Where was there an offset caused by changing the number of teeth??

Comment

If you can't get the proper sprocket you could bring a washer and sprocket to a machine shop to have them cut a spot out for the washer.

Steve

Comment

I had a star washer on my and replaced it every time i changed countershaft sprockets. The last time i did it at a buddys house. we didnt have a torque wrench so he use an air impact wrench to tighten the nut . When I tried to take it off with my 3/4 inch sockets set with a 10 foot piece of pipe on the end and it didnt move at all we used an impact wrench and heat to take it off. My guess it is safe but check as lee says

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy
                Agree with the posts. However if you look at the offset sprocket the car tire bikes like mine, there is no way to put any kind of a washer on them. I use ProLock on it, over torque it and check it often. It has never came loose on mine. I would not risk it on a street bike.

Where was there an offset caused by changing the number of teeth??
                the sprocket i used was an after market one i used on my ZRX. the zrx had a longer out put shaft and was able to fit the star washer. the ZZR shaft is a little shorter and the washer just didnt make it.

Comment

well I rode all day with the lower gear and did not like it. The ZZR makes alot of tourqe and the lower gear just made you shift more , not really a big improvment in power. It was quicker wide open and when I go to the strip ill probabaly use it.
                  I got home and decided to change it back. Well the Electric impact gun and all the loctite i used made a five minute job about two hours. That sprocket would not come off for nothin! I had to run the gun forever to break the nut loose and then the sprocket was loctited to the spline. I needed two crow bars and a leather/plastic mallett to remove the sprocket. I would pry both sides and then tap the shaft with the mallet. it came off one sixteeth of an inch at a time. Ill feel a little more comfortable if I decide to use that spocket again, it was not gonna work itself loose ......far from it.............................skip

Comment

Working...
                  X