Cr*p modern fuel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cr*p modern fuel!

Being in the motor trade myself, i have come across this problem before with customers cars in the UK.

We have had cars that have been off the road for around a month. When we come to start them after working on them, they often don't even `cough'! We have drained the old fuel, filled up with fresh and they start first time. The limited life of modern unleaded, at least in the UK seems to be getting a big problem!

This weekend the weather has been good for the first time in a couple of weeks, so i thought i would take my GS750 for a spin. The last time i rode was two weeks ago, and she ran great.

The bike started OK, but coming of choke, it didn't want to idle properly. When i tried to move off, it stalled. I had to give it a lot of throttle to stop it bogging down.

Once moving, if i tried to accelerate i just heard a lot of `WHAAAAH' with very little response. There was no misfiring, it was just as if the bike was fuel starved! I thought the fuel tap might be playing up, so i put it on prime to see if it made any difference. But no, just the same!!

I then checked the fuel feed by removing the float bowl drains on 1 and 4 carbs with the tap set to run. Plenty of fuel drained out. With the drain screws still removed, i turned to prime, and the flow started again, showing no fuel feed blockage.

I thought i was going to have to strip the carbs to investigate further, but i thought i would try some `fresh' fuel first. So i drained what was in the tank, and 1 and 4 float bowl (the drain screws i could get at easiest).

Straight away it ran better, there was some surging and eratic running for a few miles presumably because of the old fuel left in the middle carbs.

But after this had been used, the bike ran great and i have done around 70 miles today.

Now, this `bad' fuel has only been in the bike for three weeks!! It had obviously not got to the point of not burning at all, but to affect the engine like that in such a short period is disconcerting!

I normaly use a town centre filling station that has a high turnover, so `old' stock' shouldn't be an issue?

I just thought i would post this if anyone else has a similiar problem after a few weeks of layoff, change the fuel!!

Anyone else had this in the UK or elsewhere?

Footy.

I do know that if you show up at a fuel station and the big supply truck is filling the storage tanks for the pumps it is best to find another station. What happens is that when they fill these tanks they stir up whatever is in the bottom , if you fill up shortly after that sediment goes right into your tank. So, if you see the big truck, go to another station.

Scud

Comment

I am having the same problem here in England, well, actualy New England, US. the fuel is such crap. Mine went bad in 4 months! I think it has to do with the methanol they are adding to the fuel. Paying more than ever and getting less than ever.

Comment

Oxygenated fuels......

Comment

one word

Stabil

You probably own a digital camera, a mobile phone or another gadget with a digital camera built in. Most digital images sit on the hard drive for no use. With JAlbum you can make stunning web photo albums and print your images with just a few clicks.

its a Fuel Stabilizer Additive. if your not riding every day use it at every fill. i put it in everything that, i dont use every day. if its going to sit for 5 days or more in goes the stabil.

you can pick it up at any auto parts store, or lawn and garden.

Comment

I use sea foam as a stabilizer, you have to use it these days with the "cr@p modern" fuel. Works great. I mainly use it in my riding lawn mower. I only go through a tank of gas about every 2-3 months, so I use a stabilizer. While stabilizing the fuel it also cleans the carbs so its a 2 in 1 sorta thing. Paying $2.50+ per gallon of premium for my bikes and lawn mower I don't want to "waste" any. Too expensive to run premium in my car.

Comment

Originally posted by gremlin
              one word

Stabil

You probably own a digital camera, a mobile phone or another gadget with a digital camera built in. Most digital images sit on the hard drive for no use. With JAlbum you can make stunning web photo albums and print your images with just a few clicks.

its a Fuel Stabilizer Additive. if your not riding every day use it at every fill. i put it in everything that, i dont use every day. if its going to sit for 5 days or more in goes the stabil.

you can pick it up at any auto parts store, or lawn and garden.
              Thanks for the head's up!

It does seem strange doesn't it, that these alledged `eco' friendly modern fuels, could cause more polution through potential waste fuel?? :?

Footy.

Comment

Bad Fuel

Yes, the fuel is crap in U.K, years ago when I lived there (in that lovely climate) I had a Kawasaki 1000RX which if left for over a month ran crap.
                I got used to riding around then when near or on reserve I would head for home.
                Next time out I would fill up with fresh gas.
                Your petrol should be wonderful, cos the bloody price of it is out the box, convert it into USA it's approx $8 a gallon.
                When I go (about every other year) I always get the smallest engine on the rental car.........

Comment

Originally posted by jayrbaker
                  Paying $2.50+ per gallon of premium...
                  Buying premium can add to this problem. There isn't as much turnover on the premium, and as it sits in the tank it gets crappy. But if you have a high compresion/high performance lawn mower then you probably need the premium.

Comment

Working...
                  X