Oil leak behind signal generator cover on GS700E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak behind signal generator cover on GS700E

As in the topic, I've got an oil leak on an 85 GS700E behind the signal generator cover. I wasn't able to find where exactly it is coming from, as the interior is clean and black everywhere I can see, except in the bottom center where it is pooling a bit. The leak isn't exactly minor, enough that it drips every few seconds with the engine off, and faster if the engine is running.

I have a small bit of experience working on engines, none on motorcycle engines. I'm not afraid to try anything.

Anyone have any information that might help me out? I'm starting from scratch but I do have a service manual for it, though I was really hoping to not have to tear the engine completely apart to fix it.

My current ideas include running it with the cover off, and a flashlight, or trying to take out some of the signal pieces so I can see better.

TIA

Re: Oil leak behind signal generator cover on GS700E

Originally posted by hachi
    As in the topic, I've got an oil leak on an 85 GS700E behind the signal generator cover. I wasn't able to find where exactly it is coming from, as the interior is clean and black everywhere I can see, except in the bottom center where it is pooling a bit. The leak isn't exactly minor, enough that it drips every few seconds with the engine off, and faster if the engine is running.

I have a small bit of experience working on engines, none on motorcycle engines. I'm not afraid to try anything.

Anyone have any information that might help me out? I'm starting from scratch but I do have a service manual for it, though I was really hoping to not have to tear the engine completely apart to fix it.

My current ideas include running it with the cover off, and a flashlight, or trying to take out some of the signal pieces so I can see better.

TIA
    I'd try to get a better idea of where it's coming from, although the 2 places I can think of are bad.

1) The crankshaft seal.
    2) Leak between the case halves.

My money is on (1). Either way you will have to split the cases. If that's what you decide on, do a complete rebuild with all new gaskets and seals.

Comment

GS700E Oil Leak

I believe on this bike the oil pressure switch is located under the signal generator cover. Check for a leak there too.

MP

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, now the problem is figuring out which is right.

As it stands I can get the cover off just fine, but the piece that is bolted to the end of the crankshaft is where I get stuck. In the service manual it says to just use a 19mm offset wrench (got that) and a T-handle allen tool (got that too) and just take it off (doesn't say which direction it's threaded). I think it's a left-hand thread (clockwise to loosen) but it refuses to budge more than a few degrees either direction.

I'm going to try and get a torch and heat the screw, thinking maybe that the previous maintainer put too much threadlock on.

I really could use knowing which direction I should be turning the allen screw, anyone? Got any hints otherwise?

Cheers

Comment

it should turn counter clockwise to loosen, that is the way it is on other GS.

Comment

Originally posted by hachi
            Thanks for the ideas, now the problem is figuring out which is right.

As it stands I can get the cover off just fine, but the piece that is bolted to the end of the crankshaft is where I get stuck. In the service manual it says to just use a 19mm offset wrench (got that) and a T-handle allen tool (got that too) and just take it off (doesn't say which direction it's threaded). I think it's a left-hand thread (clockwise to loosen) but it refuses to budge more than a few degrees either direction.

I'm going to try and get a torch and heat the screw, thinking maybe that the previous maintainer put too much threadlock on.

I really could use knowing which direction I should be turning the allen screw, anyone? Got any hints otherwise?

Cheers
            If you are talking about the screw inside the 19mm, turn it counterclockwise.

I'm operating on memory here, but on my 1100 I think the 19mm has a slot it rides in, just pull it off. I don't believe you can turn it. I used it to turn the crank during assembly to dial in the cams.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a shot this evening after work.

The 19mm thing (no manual here to remember what it is called) is so that the crank doesn't turn while I pull as hard as I can on it.

I'll pick myself up a spanner allen bit and try taking it off that way too.

Comment

Working...
              X