Inverting the handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inverting the handlebars

I want to turn my handlebars the other way up, I figure it might be a more comfortable ride. Would I be right?

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Thats a pic of my dash, where you can clearly see the handlebars.
    Thanks.

Yes, it would be more comfortable, but here's a better idea: get new bars of the proper bend. They're cheap; you can get serviceable bars for under $20. To find the right bend for you:

1. With the bike upright and stationary, sit on it with your hands by your sidesand feet on the pegs.

2. Close your eyes.

3. Lean into a comfortable riding position and reach out to grip the bars, still in a comfortable riding position.

4. Open your eyes to see where your hands are. This is where you want the grips to be. Now measure the height, width, and pullback (distance back from centerline of bar clamps to a line between the bar ends).

5. Go to a catalogue or online and find the bars that most closely match your ideal conditions.

I do this every time I get a bike. None of them have had the bars they came with, except one dirt bike.

Ted

P.S. If you flip those clubman bars, they will likely be too tall and narrow. The "superbike" bend is a good one for most standards. It's about 2" tall.

Comment

Ted's right, you will end up with either flat bars or "super bike"

Comment

my 750 had the clubman's inverted when i got it and i have switched to superbike bars and they are less than an inch from where they started, i actually wish i'd have kept them that way :roll: i'll try to get that pic on here if i can remember how

Comment

I put on drag bars, with risers that I got from Dennis Kirk (they bolt in to the current space for your bars and give you about another inch to inch and a half rise. Really came to the perfect spot. Also a small set of dog bone risers and drag bars would work. Say 2 or 4 inch dog bones I have found both on ebay for around 30 dollars.

Comment

are those standard bars fitted? And if so, are they the correct way round? When I first saw them, I thought they were aftermarket AND upside down (coming from the BMX world, they do seem upside down to me.)

vwbeatle1214 Which feels more comfortable to you? Are your bars now the way they are in you pics?
            Thanks.

Comment

A good place to shop for bars:

They have pretty much every conceivable bar available.

Mark

Comment

Upside down clubsmen bars hummmmmmmmmmmmm...

200,000 Brits can't be wrong.
                That's a period piece on alot of bikes "doing the ton" in the UK.

Comment

the reason I want to flip them is that they dont look right to me, and that they contact the tank. You can see a small patch on the tank, where they have hit.

Comment

the reason i changed mine was because, i couldn't flip them without hitting the tank and i'm 6'1 and need a longer reach. i switched to the superbike bars and it doesn't really change the position of the grips themselves any. i'm just going to wait till i swap forks and run clip-ons.
                    if i was 2" shorter they'd be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by sparks
                      I put on drag bars, with risers that I got from Dennis Kirk (they bolt in to the current space for your bars and give you about another inch to inch and a half rise. Really came to the perfect spot. Also a small set of dog bone risers and drag bars would work. Say 2 or 4 inch dog bones I have found both on ebay for around 30 dollars.
                      Here is me and my bike with 4 inch dogbone risers and drag bars.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                        Originally posted by sparks
                        Here is me and my bike with 4 inch dogbone risers and drag bars.

Dm of mD
                        Hey -- those bars don't look half bad on the L model.
                        8) I have the 850 GL and I pretty much hate the buckhorns. I had to adjust mine down to the point where my mirrors are useless.

Comment

Working...
                        X