gs850glt headlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850glt headlight?

Hi, I'm new here,I just bought a 1980 gs850glt with 27,000 miles on it, I love it but I have a question about headlights. I have a vetter fairing on it, and I plan to remove it, along with the trunk and saddlebags (cleaner look), and I can't find a headlight for the bike.
    Anyone have any Ideas about a headlight I can use until I find a stock one. What size is the headlight? Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Grifsma

I was in the exact same situation -- my GS850GD is wearing a zooty new chrome headlight bucket from CRC2:
    CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

It's a replica of a Kawasaki part, but it bolts right on and looks perfect on a GS. It's actually nicer than the stock plastic GS buckets, and has more room for wires inside.

Here's the lighting products frame. It's right at the top.:

The 7" headlight from the cruddy old plastic Vetter bucket plops right in, or you can also order one of those from CRC2.

You'll want the one with the 8mm threaded holes. I stopped by the hardware store and grabbed two 8mm stainless steel allen head bolts just because. I also put a rubber washer between the headlight bucket and the mounting ears so that the headlight wouldn't nod up and down and I wouldn't scratch the chrome when I tightened the bolts.

Only $60, and it's a very nice looking piece.

You could also haunt eBay for an old Suzuki or Kawasaki headlight bucket, but most vintage headlight buckets are rusty, dented and/or missing hardware.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

gs850glt headlight?

Thanks for the help. The local suz dealer can get everything for the headlight assembly except the glass, which is proving difficult to find. I'll probably go the same route you did, with the kawasaki outfit. Good to know I'm looking for a 7" light, that helps a ton. Know anyone that wants to buy some vetter gear? It even has a am/fm stereo with 8track player
      LOL. Thanks again for the help. I'll post pics when shes done.
      Grifsma

Comment

for what its worth try www.cycle-salvage.com They have come up with tons of stuff I need for an 80 honda I rebuilt and my current 83 gs50g

Comment

gs850glt headlight?

Thanks shadow I'll try that.
          Grifsma

Comment

If you have any old Vetter stuff, eBay it (or offer it up to your GS brothers and sisters in the parts for sale section here). If it's a fairly complete set and/or in good condition, you will be amazed what you'll get for it. Vetter stuff is still very popular.

Shipping will be a little spendy, so make sure the buyers know that going in.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

headlight bucket

I have an old headlight bucket with sealed beam style bulb from a GS450L that I would let go cheap. It's not beautiful but it's not too bad either. Contact me off line if you're interested. The bulb is good, both hi and lo beams.

ian

Comment

gs850glt headlight?

Thanks for all the help. I will most likely put the vetter stuff, which is in very good condition on Ebay, but I'll post here to give a heads up for anyone interested. Ian thanks for the offer of your gs450l headlight, I already ordered one though . This is a very nice and helpful place. I'm going to like my new second home
                Grifsma

Comment

my GF's uncle gave me a big ass round chrome headlight from out of his junk yard, so i fabed up a bracket and mounted it to the same holes that the ignition switch mounts to

Comment

Working...
                  X