Homemade petcock...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade petcock...?

Do you guys think it would be possible to make a petcock and adapter plate? I was thinking some 1/4" or 1/8" steel for the adapter plate, then a brass elbow out of that, with a brass ball valve on the end with a nipple on it for the fuel line. I bet I could put it together for about $20, maybe less. Instead of the $100 for the pingel setup..?

Does this sound stupid, or just cheap?

Are there certain flow characteristics to the pingels? I really think it would work...

Any opinions?

I think you probably wouldn't get a good return on your effort building a petcock, but if you have the tools you might get ahead with a homemade adapter plate. If you have good metal-working tools it shouldn't be that difficult.

IMHO

Comment

It would be really easy to do. The only tricky part would be attaching the filter screen to the new baseplate. Parts would be 1/4" thick steeel, 2 M6 bolts, 2 leather washers, 1 homemadge gasket, a bit of pipe, and a shutoff valve. You wouldn't have a reserve doing this.

Steve

Comment

Screw the Pingel for $100, get an original Suzuki part for $75 or so.

I put one on my GS last weekend...it's very nice and works perfectly.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
          Screw the Pingel for $100, get an original Suzuki part for $75 or so.
          ~Adam
          Adam, that doesn't make sense to me. I bought my Pingel for $90 including adapter and shipping. That's only $15 more than your stock unit. The Pingel is bulletproof and has no diaphragm to fail. The stock petcock can start failing and it can take a long time to realize you have a leaking petcock and all the problems that can create. The Pingel is peace of mind.
          It operates much smoother/easier than the stocker. You should remember to turn it on and off though, which is easy to remember.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

well, I am gonna start fabbing it up tomorrow. I have a friend that is a machinist that is going to take care of the adapter plate for me...I'll post some pics, and let you guys know how it goes, along with how much it cost...

I really dont care if it looks like crap anyway...as long as it works. I dont see how a pingle valve (just a elbow with a ball valve built in) can outflow a 1/4" elbow with a 1/4" ball valve after it...We'll see...

Comment

The only reason I don't like the Pingel is becasue of the adapter plate. It's really cheesy the way it just threads into the flat plate, and there is no recessed gasket on that plate. While the actual fuel tube and valve is very high quality and works great, the primative design of the mount and adapter plate makes the Suzuki petcock the better unit. My Pingel is still sitting on my bench, becuase I couldn't get the mount to stop bleeding gas. And now the threads on the adapter plate are stripped, becasue it's a cheesy mount. To add to my dislike of Pingel, when I called to get a new adapter plate, they told me to measure the distance of the mounting bolts. Now, even though this process would take all of 30 seconds, these guys should know exactly what plate I need for my bike. Does not inspire confidence... :?
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                The only reason I don't like the Pingel is becasue of the adapter plate. It's really cheesy the way it just threads into the flat plate, and there is no recessed gasket on that plate. While the actual fuel tube and valve is very high quality and works great, the primative design of the mount and adapter plate makes the Suzuki petcock the better unit. My Pingel is still sitting on my bench, becuase I couldn't get the mount to stop bleeding gas. And now the threads on the adapter plate are stripped, becasue it's a cheesy mount. To add to my dislike of Pingel, when I called to get a new adapter plate, they told me to measure the distance of the mounting bolts. Now, even though this process would take all of 30 seconds, these guys should know exactly what plate I need for my bike. Does not inspire confidence... :?
                I'm sorry you had trouble with the Pingel adapter. I didn't have any trouble with the adapter. You just have to read the instructions and follow them exactly. Always read instructions through with anything, then start an installation.
                How did you strip the adapters threads? Do you mean the hole that the valve threads into or the smaller bolt holes? The valve is only supposed to go in hand tight. About 6 full wraps of teflon tape on the valve threads seems to work perfect.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by JxxxOxxxE
                  I really dont care if it looks like crap anyway...as long as it works. I dont see how a pingle valve (just a elbow with a ball valve built in) can outflow a 1/4" elbow with a 1/4" ball valve after it...We'll see...
                  My Pingel valve is 5/16". The stock fuel line is 5/16".
                  Don't care what it looks like!? 8O It's all in the details! The GS1000E deserves it.

Comment

The Pingel came on a tank I bought for my 81. The previous owner must have munged it up. I'll admit I didn't have the directions, and if I did, things might have worked out ok, but I still like the one piece design of the stock petcock better. How can you set the valve to sit in the adapter at just the right angle unless there is a lock nut on the threads of the valve itself? And I thought that gas would eat teflon tape pretty good, just assumed that though, maybe not.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Adam, that doesn't make sense to me. I bought my Pingel for $90 including adapter and shipping. That's only $15 more than your stock unit. The Pingel is bulletproof and has no diaphragm to fail. The stock petcock can start failing and it can take a long time to realize you have a leaking petcock and all the problems that can create. The Pingel is peace of mind.
                      It operates much smoother/easier than the stocker. You should remember to turn it on and off though, which is easy to remember.
                      Well it's nice you don't have to shut the stock units on and off...and prior to this year, I've had no problems with my past two 25 year old petcocks...

Does Pingel make a petcock for 77-79 550 tanks though? There are NO rebuild kits available that I could find...

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                        How can you set the valve to sit in the adapter at just the right angle unless there is a lock nut on the threads of the valve itself? And I thought that gas would eat teflon tape pretty good, just assumed that though, maybe not.
                        Just the right number of wraps with teflon tape allows the valve to face out correctly and still be tight. If it's tight, the teflon will seal perfectly. I haven't leaked a drop in 2 years.

Comment

Adam, I'm pretty sure Pingel makes a valve for your model.
                          You just measure in mm, the center to center distance between the two mounting holes for the tank bolts. With this info, you look up the adapter plate you need, such as 44mm or 50 mm. Then choose a valve with a reserve feature and the fuel nipple facing the correct direction, and style of valve you want to thread into the adapter. The valves come in chrome or polished aluminum, hex shaped, round shaped, etc.

Comment

*shrugs* some 1/8npt 1/4 turn ball valves. A 1/8npt tap, drill, brass tube, and some solder... ;-) you could have one very sweet, very large ID petcock. I say ball valves... so you can still have reserve. Hmm... I have all of those materials around the house.......

I'd be more apt to reconfigure the stock petcock to remove the vacuum function.
                            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Teflon Tape ?????

You guys use Teflon tape in your fuel system ?????

EEK ! 8O

I can't count how many carburators I've seen messed up with strands of that stuff in them......

-D Payne

Comment

Working...
                              X