Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
    Originally posted by AOD
    Screw the Pingel for $100, get an original Suzuki part for $75 or so.
    ~Adam
    Adam, that doesn't make sense to me. I bought my Pingel for $90 including adapter and shipping. That's only $15 more than your stock unit. The Pingel is bulletproof and has no diaphragm to fail. The stock petcock can start failing and it can take a long time to realize you have a leaking petcock and all the problems that can create. The Pingel is peace of mind.
    It operates much smoother/easier than the stocker. You should remember to turn it on and off though, which is easy to remember.
    My GS went 20 years on the original petcock. I replaced it 5 years ago with a new one. I have no reason to believe it should fail any shorter time than the first. What are you burning pure alcohol??

Comment

Re: Teflon Tape ?????

Originally posted by C7Z
      You guys use Teflon tape in your fuel system ?????

EEK ! 8O

I can't count how many carburators I've seen messed up with strands of that stuff in them......

-D Payne
      I use it for the Pingel adapter threads. Never had a problem.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

No adapter threads required with the original hardware.

My bike sat for about 1.5 weeks now without running (weather and yardwork prevented riding), almost a full tank, and it didn't leak a drop through to the carbs. Meso happy!

~Adam

Comment

You could get a used part. There is a motorcycle junkyard in Tewksbury, Ma. that I get cheap parts from. Check your area or do a internet search.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD

Well it's nice you don't have to shut the stock units on and off...and prior to this year, I've had no problems with my past two 25 year old petcocks...

~Adam
            This is why I don't go with Pringle. I simply would not remember everytime I shut down to turn off my petcock. I haven't had to for over 25 years, and my instincts could not be that easily reprogrammed. The consequences of the gas overflowing can be both harmful to the bike, and very dangerous, not worth chancing to me. I have the original petcock on my 850, working for 25+ years. The one on my 82 GK stopped working on reserve sometime before I purchased it at 27000 miles. It is a different, smaller unit than the one on my 80 850. This may have been another instance when a later part was inferior to an earlier one. I went ahead and replaced it with stock; I was on the road; the shop had one in stock, and I needed a reserve. No real decision at that point.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

SKYPE ME AT hard.parts.inc JAPANESE MOTORCYCLE PARTS FOR KAWASAKI, HONDA, YAMAHA, AND SUZUKI GOOGLE GEORGEFIX TO GO TO MY prostore FOR discount pricing and CREDIT CARD USE..... PUT YOUR BIKE IN THE SEARCH BOX TO SEE WHAT I HAVE LISTED FOR YOU CB750 CX500 Z1 XS1100 GS750

$46.00 suzi petcocks

Comment

For 80 and 81+ bikes only. Us with the 79 and below petcocks have no other options besides Pingel and OEM.

~Adam

Comment

For all of us with short-term memory lapses, Pingel is now offering vacuum-controlled petcocks. Didn't look up the $$ though, I'm still looking for the cheap fix. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by dpep
                    Originally posted by AOD

Well it's nice you don't have to shut the stock units on and off...and prior to this year, I've had no problems with my past two 25 year old petcocks...

~Adam
                    This is why I don't go with Pringle. I simply would not remember everytime I shut down to turn off my petcock. I haven't had to for over 25 years, and my instincts could not be that easily reprogrammed. The consequences of the gas overflowing can be both harmful to the bike, and very dangerous, not worth chancing to me. I have the original petcock on my 850, working for 25+ years. The one on my 82 GK stopped working on reserve sometime before I purchased it at 27000 miles. It is a different, smaller unit than the one on my 80 850. This may have been another instance when a later part was inferior to an earlier one. I went ahead and replaced it with stock; I was on the road; the shop had one in stock, and I needed a reserve. No real decision at that point.
                    Don, if you can fly a military aircraft, you can remember to turn off a petcock.

There is some guy on Ebay that is selling petcock repair kits for 19 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X