Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

Hey guys,
    I've been a longtime lurker and finally registered.

here's my prob.

I have an 84gs550l,
    I charged the battery after winter storage, showing 12 volts after charge
    I took it out yesterday(bike) put on the choke, cranked the engine over and it started effortlessly, turned choke off when it warmed up.

I let it sit and idle while checking the battery with the volt meter, It climbed from 12 to 14.3 volts while idling at about 2500 RPM's. I leave the bike idle and after 5-10 mins from starting it dies, shuts off on its own and then theres no juice whatsover in the battery. It does even click when I try to turn it over.

Last year I replaced my voltage RR with a Honda Unit and it worked excellent all last summer. If i let the bike sit over night and go back out to my garage it'll do the same thing as mentioned above

What could be wrong????Please help!!
    thanks

I'd pull the battery out and check the voltage.

Charge it and try again.

A fully charged battery should have done more than that running total loss. So I would suspect the battery. Check electrolyte level and look for cloudy cells, broken battery terminal, etc.

:?

Comment

Yah, the fact that it climbed from 12 to over 14 indicates that charging system was working. Even if it failed right then, the bike should have run longer than that. oh, quess this is same thing mdole was saying.

Check for completly failed battery. Check main fuse.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Gotta be the battery....I had very similar symptoms after the winter and found a bad cell in the battery.

Comment

Check the fuses, then check terminals/connections, both positive and negative.

Comment

sounds like a naff battery, how old is it, they don't last all that long, if it was the terminals its doubtful it would have started in the first place.

Comment

Working...
            X