Timing marks on my gs500e PLS HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing marks on my gs500e PLS HELP!!!

Hi can anyone pls help i've just bought a gs500e 1990 and the timing is out i tryed to do it but got confussed cos the ex cam has the marks with the numbers 1 and 2 and the inlet has just one with the number 3?
    and i cant find the bottom mark either some1 pls help im dieing to go out on her

Timing

OK, I'll have a go BUT I am not an expert on GS500.
    From what I remember, It's a twin engine.
    Reference from GS1000 engine, so it should be simular.
    Inlet cam, #3 should be pointing straight up. ^
    Exhaust cam, #1 should be pointing fwd -
    and #2 pointing straight up ^
    Bottom timing mark should be lined up to "T" (NOT F)
    The bottom timing mark is behind the right smaller casing on the engine.
    If it has got a smaller bolt then a bigger nut behind it, turn engine over with BIGGER NUT not the smaller one.
    Take plugs out to, to check one of the pistons is TDC.
    I hope this helped, I have not worked on the 500, but any help is better than none. Phil.
    Ps. You might be best to get a manual, oh! 20 links between #3 and #2 on 1000, might be same on yours.

Comment

thank you very much it sounds like they are the same will let you know if it works out cheers mate nice one!!!! :P

Comment

The larger GS bikes (1000, 1100, 1150, etc.) are 20 pins on the cam chain starting with the pin over arrow 2 on the exhaust as 1 and the pin over arrow 3 on the intake cam as the 20th pin. On the 450's (and the 500 is just a later 450) the pin count from exhaust arrow 2 to intake arrow 3 is 18 (eighteen)

(this from memory and I no longer have a 450 manual, but I am reasonably sure it should be 18 pins)

Earl

Originally posted by lody
        thank you very much it sounds like they are the same will let you know if it works out cheers mate nice one!!!! :P
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hi every1 ive tryed doing the timing again and when i time in the ex cam #1 pionting fwd #2 pointing up and inlet cam #3 pointing up with the bottom marks on the "T" it gets cam lock? is the "T" that i use the one that is marked R.T I I F is that right?
          cheers for any help

Comment

#1 parallel to valve cover face, #2 facing straight up. Count Pin at #2 as first pin, pin eighteen will have #3 pointing at it. The notches in the ends of the cams will be facing eachother at this point. The nub on the pickup will be pointing at the mark after R-T. Not the mark just before F. Then crank the engine over by hand very slowly a bunch of times to see if anything hits.

I have a German 90/91 factory Suzuki manual that I could possibly send you but it is 12.6 megs. I don't read German but the pictures are pretty obvious.

Steve

Comment

Ok thank you everyone the timming has worked out right i've got a bent exhaust valve cheers

Comment

Working...
              X