Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TW's illustrated guide to why dyna coils cheese me off

Here is a dyna coil.

On a dyna coil there is 1mm of clearance between the wire screws where your wires go and the mounting bolt. Note also how they put BOTH of the crappy wire screws as close as possible to the mounting bolt. This way they have to put one at the bottom centre giving you the added inconvenience of the bottom one ending up against the frame once mounted.

This is a suzuki coil

See how suzuki has overcome this very confusing and complicated engineering problem by placing the connectors on either side out of the way! Boy they sure are smart! There's even a sturdy, waterproofed spade jack for durability and easy maintenance. This way the individual filaments in the wire don't vibrate free and ground themselves on your inner thighs at 3500rpm when it rains.
    FYI dyna isn't exaggerating about that 20000 volts. HOOO

The connectors on my green Dyna coils are on the sides, as illustrated in your Suzuki diagram.

Wonder why yours are different?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If anyone needs a technical illustrator with mad skillz, just call Twisted...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Dood, you got defective coils. Mine are as Brian states as well. I have never seen any like you have? Call them!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
          The connectors on my green Dyna coils are on the sides, as illustrated in your Suzuki diagram.

Wonder why yours are different?
          I got mine used so they are probably an older model. I got new cables and boots, I taped the the coils up, slathered them in silicon caulk and I couldn't stop them from getting electricity everywhere. I just put the stock ones back on in 1/16th of the time I spent on the dynas. Pretty amazing that a supposedly respectable company would have ever made something so boneheaded (insert potshot at american motorcycle products).

Comment

I got a feeling you have something wrong with the coils other than the wire placement. That 20k volts you speak of should only be at the output to the plugs, not at the connections you have close to the bolt. Those are battery and ignitor, which is a 12 volt signal.

If you got them used, someone unloaded them on you. Don't blame Dyna, blame the seller.

Comment

hilarious sketches, man!

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                I got a feeling you have something wrong with the coils other than the wire placement. That 20k volts you speak of should only be at the output to the plugs, not at the connections you have close to the bolt. Those are battery and ignitor, which is a 12 volt signal.

If you got them used, someone unloaded them on you. Don't blame Dyna, blame the seller.
                The grounding/shorts due to the wire placement was causing either no spark whatsoever or random faltering especially at low rpms. 12V isn't really going to jump anyhow especially not through PVC rain gear and leather gloves.

The hard jolts I'd get from time to time were coming from the high tension cables. The rubber sleeves/boots on the coil barely covered the huge copper plugs that were included (the ones you have to crimp to the high tension wire). The coils were getting electricity everywhere when it rained. They were just badly insulated everywhere.
                I'm still blaming the coils. They aren't counterfeits they were actually made by dynatek. It was already said that others don't have this problem so they don't make them this way anymore. I could simply mod them to take spade connectors off to the side edge but screw em this wasn't really meant to be all that serious of a thread I just wanted to complain about them and make silly pictures.

Comment

I'm bumping this thread after a whole year for two reasons.
                  1. My original post was really funny
                  2. I just took a picture of the ignition coil that cheesed me off in the first place

Comment

The artwork IS very funny. :-D

Comment

WHich coils are those The GS usually use the Dyna Green coils

Comment

Well to me that looks like a made on Monday or Friday coil. I bet it was defective from day one and thats why you got it used. Looks like the idiot who made/put the iron laminated core in, got it off by 90 degrees. Pitch it and get another one. No sense messing around with crap. The only good thing was your illustrations. LOL.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                          Dood, you got defective coils. Mine are as Brian states as well. I have never seen any like you have? Call them!
                          i have a set like that too-bought years back. Mine aew green though Had to adapt the mount also. really turned me off---but still running/

Comment

I have noticed on this thread and others about Dyna coils having to adapt the mount.
                            On my 83 1100Ethe coils went right on.
                            I didn't have to do anything special to get them to fit.
                            These are the green 3.0 ohm coils.
                            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                            2000 Kawasaki Concours
                            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
                              I have noticed on this thread and others about Dyna coils having to adapt the mount.
                              On my 83 1100Ethe coils went right on.
                              I didn't have to do anything special to get them to fit.
                              These are the green 3.0 ohm coils.
                              maybe they fit the silver models but not the red ones Doug:shock: Yes green 3 ohm

Comment

Working...
                              X