fork brace question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork brace question

hey guys, i rember reading some posts at some point talking about fork braces and how you are not suppost to clamp them over your dust boots? is that right? if you do it will still allow them to move?

i ask this because i bought a daytona fork brace for my 550, complete with instructions from the 80's and in the instructions it show's the brace going over the rubber dust boot, the brace it's self has been specfically machined to fit right around the boot and is well within a thousandth, nice tight fit.

i would like some opinions here since this seems counter-dictory to what i thought i read/was told.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

do a search for this...I posted up pictures of my problem a while back, which was I had to clamp to the dust boot to use the fork brace.

The concensus was that the brace needs to be bolted to something FIRM, not a soft rubber that will flex.

My fender swap (that didn't fit right between the forks) prevents me from using my fork brace. I haven't wallered the bolt holes yet to see if it would be better...but my fender sits maybe 1/2" above the tire? I'm not sure what the safe clearance is.

Comment

i know what you are talking about adam, i have the same brace it fits well the fender is out of the way. BUT I must say the directions i have show it going over the rubber boot and the brace was machined for it.

i can scan the instruction if anyone wants to see.

i just read your post (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...+brace&start=0) but these braces don't have a grove cut into them that would fit into where the dust seal would go, here is a pic of the brace adam and i have

and a link to buy them http://www.loudfastugly.com/chrmandacc/fork_brc.htm

unfortunetly the numbers the website has posted don't seem to corospond at all to the numbers i have printed on my brace.

here is a pic of a dayton mounted the fork with no dust cover

hey guys what would you know the ebay sell i bought from has a website sellignt hem and he sez they are suppost to fit over the boot

here is the link

Our line of Daytona fork braces will improve the handling on your classic bike. Unfortunately the one we have listed are the only models we have. Daytona has ceased production of this line of classic braces so don't wait to get one for your favorite.

By design the Daytona brace mounts of the fork boots on many applications to allow a floating of the brace. They feel it allows for a more controlled bracing of the forks while taking into consideration the differences from bike to bike from mass production. A braces fit is paramount to the bike handling correctly, becasue of this if the brace wasn't made for your bike it probably won't adapt without a problem..

We have braces for the following models:
      ok i give up, i am going ot go by what that quote sez, i when 20 pages deep in google search for info found some intresting stuff.

i will leave you with this

apprently the guy that runs this company is a real stand up guy according to some suszuki cavalcade owners, and may run off a small order if braces if given enough intrest.

-ryan

sorry for the long rambleing post.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Mine's a Tarozzi which is shaped to fit under the boot.

Front fender has been chopped by the PO. It runs 4mm (less than 1/6") clearance at the front but almost 1" at the rear, which I hadn't noticed before

Rear clearance has to be enough, front doesn't really matter as the tire will 'adjust' the clearance pretty quickly

The builders use electrical wire to set the clearance. Just find the thickness (clearance) you want and lay the wire on the tire center. Then you can lay the fender on and mark the new mounting holes.

Pete

PS: And it would help if I remembered to post the pic, too

Comment

Ryan, cool links...and some good research there.

If you have the same Daytona instructions as me (we have the same forks it sounds like too) they say Printed in Japan at the bottom and are a bit amusing. The first line reads, "Must be installed by a certified mechanic even though installation looks uncomplicated."

The picture is hard to see if the boot is installed, but it says "area to be clamped (lower fork stanchion) must be clean.

Looked up stanchion: An upright pole, post, or support.
          A framework consisting of two or more vertical bars, used to secure cattle in a stall or at a feed trough.

Not a rubber boot.

I'm leary to put this on and tear up my fork boots...because the only way to replace them is pull the forks. Plus from my pictures, it looks like I have to drop my fender a bit still...

I'll consider it..

~Adam

Comment

I am not sure what make mine are but they are made to clamp where the rubber boot goes and are machined so that the rubber boots fit on top of the fork brace.

Comment

Focus, that sounds just like mine.

Comment

Can you guys take a picture of this?

Ryan, photo of yours too...mocked up in place?

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                X