How to Id a crankshaft? (GS1100GLZ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Id a crankshaft? (GS1100GLZ)

I pulled the engine from one of my GS1100GLZs because it had a very pronounced rod knock. It's on the floor waiting for me to do something with it. I found another engine for the bike that's OK but not great. I also have a rolling chassis (the source of the second engine) that's only an engine and a few parts away from being on the road.

I'm thinking that there may be a cheaper way than sending the crank out for repair. There's one on eBay right now. Perhaps someone could tell me if it will fit my GLZ. But, just so I don't have to keep asking, how does one know how to match up cranks with engines? I've seen several cranks for sale on eBay but have no idea how to tell which might fit my engine. It's bad enough that I have to worry about whether the cranks on eBay are in any better shape than the one I already have.

In case anyone is wondering what happened to the crank with the knock, well, that's a bit of a story in itself. The fellow I bought the bike from loaded the bike down with fairing, bags, floor boards, heel & toe shifter, CD, cigarette lighter, and you name it. Even the brass license plate frame must weigh a couple pounds. He rode with Harley riders who told him to never take the bike over 4K RPM, so he didn't. The first thing I did was take off all the junk and put it back to original, but it was too late for the rod bearings. (He also said he put two-cycle motor oil in the gasoline to clean the carbs. I still wonder why he didn't try gas treatment.)

Thanks for any replies.

My Guess would be No, but I could be wrong. it looks from the listing to be from a 4 valve 1100 motor

Comment

The way to spot a shaft drive crank is to look at the primary drive gear. On the shaft drive motors, the drive gear is outboard of the #5 main bearing and is pinned to the crank.

The chain drive motors have the gear on the inboard side of the #5 main bearing and is bolted to the crank.

Comment

Thanks for the help. It looks like this isn't the right crank for my GLZ.

Comment

Working...
        X