Final Driven Gear Spline Lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Driven Gear Spline Lube

OK, as promised in the GS Discussion forum here is what I have found in my newly acquired GS1100G factory service manual. On page 7-29 & 7-39 there is a line that states - Apply the grease (#99000-25010 SUZUKI super grease "A") just prior reinstalling the rear wheel. I'm going to look some more but so far no recommended interval including in periodic maintainance. Hmmmmm. Do I smell a plot to sell lots of wheel hub adapters :? ? If I find something I'll post it here but seems the consensus on the minimum is at least every time you pull the rear wheel.

use honda Moly 60.........60% molybdenum disulfide. its the best stuff you can get . there is something better called Krytox from DuPont, but its reeeeeaaaaal expensive.

heres a link for moly 60:

Comment

Thanks Poot! Was thinking I should go get that link from the earlier post. Sorry this is getting so long. I'm just hoping to save someone else some grief.

Originally posted by dpep
      Originally posted by dude
      Originally posted by focus frenzy

suzuki changed the metal (not hardened) for 1982 and the splines in the adapter often strip after about 30K miles.
      the fix is to get a adapter from a shaft drive bike made before 1982 as they are made from a better (harder) metal and they don't strip out.
      My 82gs1100GK wore it out after 34,000 miles. The clutch was sliping before so I swapped out plates & springs and still had no go! With assistance from the technical forum I figured it out and fixed it with a new Suzuki part...should have found a old part?
      That is almost exactly where my 82GK stripped out. At least they are predictable.

On trips I carry a bunch of tools and parts. One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is a little cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight.
      Originally posted by focus frenzy
      Originally posted by Giblet

My guess is that if you keep it lubed, you probably won't have a problem.
      I remember seeing a post by someone who said they stripped theirs and that they kept it lubed.
      Are we doomed to spline failure? Don, I assuming that being the wise GK owner you are that your original adapter was well lubed. What vintage replacement part did you use? If one doesn't have a pre '82 adapter, perhaps its a good idea to start looking for one. Either way, KEEP IT LUBED!

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet

Are we doomed to spline failure? Don, I assuming that being the wise GK owner you are that your original adapter was well lubed. What vintage replacement part did you use? If one doesn't have a pre '82 adapter, perhaps its a good idea to start looking for one. Either way, KEEP IT LUBED!
        I only purchased the GK in the middle of '03. I had new tires put on by a shop along with a list of other items in prep for a long trip, so I had never seen the splines. The person doing the work was an older mechanic who had worked on GS's when they were new and had a G model himself, so I trusted him to know what he was doing. But who knows?

I had sometime earlier replaced the whole rear wheel on my 80 '850, so I had that hub on hand for a replacement when the GK stripped. But I am now researching what year bike that replacement rear wheel came from. My GK has the good splines now, but I have to make sure about my 850.

Yes, it is a good idea to stockpile hub parts for the shafties. Pre '82 is better, but I wouldn't turn away any year.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

The early spline dealies are partially flat black -- it looks sort of like a flat black anodized finish.

The later ones have a silver cast finish all over.

At least the ones I've seen follow this pattern...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I thought all the 'replacement ones' were of the higher quality?

Comment

The one that failed on my GK has a bright finish (clear zinc or galvanized maybe). The replacement (80 model) has a dull dark look. I plan on picking up a couple of pre 82 parts to keep on hand. The new price from Alpha-Sports.com is about $125 but as I was told the metal change was done to prevent additional damage to the drive side of things. Just look it over closely to make sure it is in good condition. I had to buy a whole rear wheel assembly which also came with a brake disc that looks usable. Need to mic it to know for sure. The adapter was slathered in black grease. Just need to figure out where to dump/scrap the wheel. I also ended up leaving the 850 final drive on my bike as the splines on the 1100 drive unit were beveled, I aasume from being run dry and the ground metal flying around in there.

Comment

Working...
              X