1980 GSX1100E countershaft seal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GSX1100E countershaft seal.

Giving mine a birthday, she still looks brand new, just some seals, oils rings etc. Do you have to split the bottom end to replace the final drive seal? The Clymer w/shop manual does not cover its replacement, I was hoping someone had the foresight to design its external removal. Is it just a matter of removing the external "C" ring and pulling the old seal out

I have not done it on a 1100 but on several 450's you could do it from the outside. Warm up the engine and put the new seal in the deep freezer, try not to scrape any material of the new seals outside diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
      I have not done it on a 1100 but on several 450's you could do it from the outside. Warm up the engine and put the new seal in the deep freezer, try not to scrape any material of the new seals outside diameter.
      That may work, but I'm not too hyped on it. The countershaft seal is pinched in there pretty good. If you can get it in from the outside you are a better man than me. Good luck anyway. If this works for you be sure to post that you did it. It would definetly save time.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
        Originally posted by robinjo
        That may work, but I'm not too hyped on it. The countershaft seal is pinched in there pretty good. If you can get it in from the outside you are a better man than me. Good luck anyway. If this works for you be sure to post that you did it. It would definetly save time.
        I have done this twice, both times on 450's.

First you drill 2 five mm holes in the seal, opposed to eachother.

Then you take some self tapping screws and grind the sharp tip off of them.

You insert them into the holes untill you feel they hit the case, then you turn them a half turn each side, taking turns untill it comes out.

Of course it could be that with the 1100's it's only possible by separating the bottom end, but why would there be a C-clip then? :?

Comment

1980 GSX 1100

Thanks, the seal came out reasonably well. Didn't have the luxury of warming up the motor, was allready half stripped. Lost some of the outer coating, so we'll see if it leaks. The old seal had a dimple, on the top cemi circle, to set in the top half of the crank case. Funny, I would have thought it would be on the opposite side of the "C" ring as there is nothing to stop that side, other than a tight fit, from coming out.

Comment

Working...
          X