Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 easy questions -- engine work

Hello everyone,

I'll try to keep this short and to the point. The bike is an '81 Suzuki GS450L

1. Purchased a new 2-1 Mac exhaust-- Do I need to get exhaust orings or would high temp RTV or gasket material work?

2. Replacing the clutch rod seal and gear shift seal-- Do I need to take the jugs apart or just the crank case?

I'm a noob so if there's anything I can do to help you help me...let me know!

Many thanks :mrgreen:

1. Purchased a new 2-1 Mac exhaust-- Do I need to get exhaust orings or would high temp RTV or gasket material work?
    Are you referring to the exhaust gaskets at the head to pipe junction? If so, you need new gaskets as the temp there is way too high for RTV. If you are referring to the pipe connections between the header and tail pipe, then the hi temp RTV will probably be fine.

Can't help with #2, although I think those seals are usually replaceable without splitting anything apart.

Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark M,

Yes, I was refering to the exhaust gaskets at the head to pipe junction.

:mrgreen:

Comment

If the Mac doesn't come with new exhaust gaskets, yes order some...

Comment

The answers are no and no.

You must use exhaust gaskets.

Regarding the shifter and clutch seals, all you have to remove is the sprocket cover and sprocket, and the clutch cover and clutch itself. This will allow you to pull the shift rod, then you can pull the seal out with a hook pick and press a new one in using a 12mm socket and a small rubber mallet.

The clutch push rod seal is on the cover itself, and again is simply a press fit seal. In fact, I think the shifter rod and clutch pushrod seal are the exact same seal (as is the tach drive seal). Almost positive of that.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I need to replace both of those seals myself. I figures the clutch push rod seal could be done easy enought. But I was thinking the same thing that the case would have to be split the replace the shifter seal. So a few years ago I used some sealent around it with a piece of gasket material and it lasted about 3 years.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
              X