Hot ignition Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot ignition Module

Hey I have an 81 GS250. Runs great until the ignition module gets hot and then starts after-firing and all this junk. Once ignition module cools off it runs fine. If I unplug the positive regulator wire to the battery, the igniton module doesn't get hot. Anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong? BTW the module is relatively new, I replace the regulator with the electrex unit when the last igniter blew as that was the reason the old module blew in the first place.

Measure the coltage on the battery while the engine is running at 5000 rpm, should be 14-14.8 volts. You might have a bad coil, measure the resistance of the coil, should be 3 ohms on the promary and 15000 or so on the secondary.

A voltmeter is essential for working on a gs
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

ive got about 14.8 going to the battery. I checked the restistance on the coils, they are checking out ok

Comment

when you say the module is relatively new, does that mean it is a new from the store module or one that you bought from someone used? It seems to be the only thing left on it's own that could be the problem. I know they are expensive but buying modules that are suspect will not do you any good.
        A new one, either OEM or aftermarket, might be the best thing.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X