How do I remove the...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove the...

darn expanding rubber oil drain plug replacement that was placed in due to stripped threads?

I managed to get it out last fall when I changed the oil, but now I can't seem to remember how I did it, either that, or the thing has expanded so as it will never come out.

Here is what I've tried thus far.

Unscrew the bit that compresses it and actuallly causes it to seal. (I've tried unscrewing this to various points on it's threads) then pushed it up to cause it to come out of the rubber ( If I remember correctly, the top is conical shaped to cause the rubber to expand when tightened) Then have attempted to pull the rubber plug out, all with no success.

I'm frustrated at this point and that oil change aint hapening tonight, I"m gonna go do something else and come back to it some other time when I can take a fresh go at it.

Can anyone help me??

Amos

Use a heat gun, get it so hot it's close to melting, then try and pull it out with a hook pick. Try and pass the hook pick right through next to the threads and then let it cool some (just some) and pull. If that doesn't work, get a gasket for the pan and pull it off and hammer it out from the inside.

I've only used the rubber plugs that just press in- they don't have a mechanical expander. I used one for about 10k miles! Now I carry one with me.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You might try taking the bike for a ride for an hour to warm up the oil to soften the plug. Then put the bike on the centerstand, loosen the center bolt on the plug and try pulling out with a pair of channel locks so as not to risk hot oil running down your arms.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have an extra oil pan that I eventually want to install that is not stripped, but the 650 is my ride for now and I have problems enough trying to find time to change the oil.

I think I'm going to try the ride option first, as that is the most enjoyable, and will still leave me being able to use the plug for the time being.

Now if the weather would just cooperate.

Amos

Comment

If I can get a look at it bro I am sure can get it out. Or just go with your new oil pan idea. You have the gasket? I just pulled mine last night and the gasket does not come off clean so you will need one for sure. This is not an area where you reuse the gasket.

Comment

go get a second rubber plug before you pull it, just in case it tears??

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
              go get a second rubber plug before you pull it, just in case it tears??
              Good idea, and I had already had that thought. But if it got to that point I'd debate just going ahead and replacing the whole thing, as I do have the gaskets somewhere..

Amos

Comment

Working...
              X